Thread: What triggers you?

What triggers you?

I've been in a pretty good place lately, I mean probably the best in 2 years. I've been able to talk myself out of lots of different things before my mind goes to intrusive thoughts that take over and send me down the deep dark hole.

For the past two days I feel like I'm heading down that path and I'm trying so hard to stop myself. I'm so trying to see what triggered this. This weekend I found out that a little boy who I knew wasn't doing good ended up dieing of liver cancer. His parents were friends of friends, then I found out that a family friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer and now the cancer thoughts are starting to consume me once again.

My little three year old was having tough night last night before bed and I asked her if anything hurt and she said her side did. She pointed to her left hip area, same area that hurt her back in early October when I had a complete meltdown thinking she had leukemia because of leg pain. Now here I am again, leg pain for me always goes straight to leukemia. Because our friends daughter had pain and a limp for two weeks and she eneded up having leukemia.

Please help me stop this. These are my thoughts right now...."should I have taken her to the doctor way back in October for the leg pain that she only had for two days?" "If it is cancer I'm sure it has spread by now so badely and she is doomed". "Why didn't I just take her to the doctor".

Re: What triggers you?

I get the same triggers - "It happened to her/him why what's stopping it from happening to me?" Even if the situation is extremely rare. I don't have children yet but I'm sure I'll push it onto them at times as well.

Cancer doesn't get better in a few days, remember.

I get over my trigger by reminding myself that yeah, **** happens and medicine these days is amazing and getting even better every day. And at any moment I could get into a freak accident anyway so there's no point not living your life to the best that you can.

T.V programs trigger me!

Say I am watching a soap/drama and a character gets ill or finds a lump... I then worry about it!

Quote Originally Posted by PASchoolSyndrome View Post
    I get the same triggers - "It happened to her/him why what's stopping it from happening to me?"
    Im so sensitive sometimes all it takes is those stupid medication warning commercials or a tv show.

House, Greys Anatomy, Law and Order - all filled with death dying and off my watchlist. Im even very selective on what news I watch/read.

In my family I have lost 2 cousins in their 40s and an uncle in his 60s in the last 90 days so I am on HIGH ALERT already.

Ive been through some incredible stuff in my life, some of it was even real.

-SC

Quote Originally Posted by Sphincterclench View Post
    Im so sensitive sometimes all it takes is those stupid medication warning commercials or a tv show.

House, Greys Anatomy, Law and Order - all filled with death dying and off my watchlist. Im even very selective on what news I watch/read.

In my family I have lost 2 cousins in their 40s and an uncle in his 60s in the last 90 days so I am on HIGH ALERT already.
    Sorry for all the loss. Losing so many mAkes it even more unbearable.
    Medical tv shows are the worst. My wife loved House, I would let her watch that alone.

One of my best childhood friends died unusually young from colon cancer. I dealt with bogus symptoms fir a year after he passed away.

I seem to be able to push things aside better than I used to. But when I do have a new symptom I usually jump to the worst case right away, I am just able to blow it off better. Maybe CBT is working better.

Stories online. Every time I google my symptoms (red flag already) the same tragic stories pop up. All purple links, and I'll read them again. What's stopping tragedy from striking me? To me, the words "unlikely," "uncommon," "rare," etc. mean nothing.

the words "unlikely," "uncommon," "rare," etc. mean nothing
    shame that doesnt apply to the lottery winning eh?

Ive been through some incredible stuff in my life, some of it was even real.

-SC

With our logic we should be buying tickets left and right!

Thread Information