Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tremors/shaking all day every day

Re: Tremors/shaking all day every day

Hey Michelle,
    I've personally had essential tremor for as long as I can remember I must've been 7-9. Mines not actually diagnosed although I did go to the hospital and have all the tests but they didn't offer me any scans just blood work I was only 13. They just didn't put a label on me, I've done a lot of reading and I'm sure it's a essential tremor myself. My tremor doesn't go away with alcohol as far as I know and I have it present at ALL times in my hands and fingers. It goes absolutely crazy when my anxiety levels are high, I can relate to the voice box shakiness and it normally happens during high anxiety. My mum believes it has a lot to do with my anxiety as all tremors do in my opinion. Question: does it get worse when you're hungry and tired? Essential tremor is so specific compared to other tremors as I've found doing my research, if your tremor isn't there when your hands are flat/at rest I very highly doubt it's anything serious. Give me a message if you ever want to chat!

Oh wow Kb you were so young to have tremors! Have they progressively worsened over the years or stayed the same? (Besides the high anxiety times). Do your tremors get worse after a hot bath or shower? I don't find mine worsen with being hungry or tired. I agree with your mum that anxiety makes the tremors worse. Mine started as a thumb tremor or twitch. ..in one hand and that was just in December. Now I feel shaky all over but only my hands and fingers are noticeable to others. I hope that once I get some of my anxiety about all the symptoms I have under control..then the shakiness /tremors disappear for good! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience!

Hey,
    Sadly I was yeah! I've never known any different luckily it seems they've stayed the same so far so I'm hoping it doesn't progress as essential tremor can be quite disabling at an older age. Mine was brought on after my granddad died and just never left. With mine it gets worse with hunger/exhaustion and that's quite a common sign that it's essential tremor. It's very possible you're just going through a very rough patch of anxiety and once you come out the other end it'll go. I've never actually noticed after baths/showers, I never pay attention to it anymore but I think that's because I've had it so long and sort of learned to do everything ignoring it. I just know the main things are hunger, exhaustion, stress and anxiety that make it worse. Just see how you feel in a few months (I've left mine for 13 years undiagnosed well sort of as they wouldn't do further testing) so you'll be fine! If it continues get a referral to get it checked out, stay positive and don't worry!

Quote Originally Posted by Colicab85 View Post
    I can only echo what has been said before.

Get ALS out your mind straight away. ALS or any other kind of MND does not, ever cause any kind of tremor.

The only thing that can be remotely called a "tremor" in MND is a weakness "tremor". In that when you attempt to use your muscles they begin to shake due to weakness. Like if you or I were to lift a weight that is too heavy for us, we will begin to shake. That is what happens in MND.

I have had a tremor for 8 months, constant, all day every day. Very minor shaking in my arms, hands and jaw. Only I can tell its happening and to someone looking at me, you'd have no idea. The doctors put it down to my mental health issues which makes sense.

I have exactly what you describe, and I have seen 11 neurologists and not one person every said this. They eventually diagnosed me with a Functional Movement Disorder stemming from anxiety/depression.

I do hope it is a result of my high anxiety as you say Kb!
    George...I also shake when I use my muscles. This is new for me in the past couple months and think it could be a result of losing over 20 pounds in that time (also due to the anxiety as I have no appetite either) and therefore I imagine I've lost muscle mass. That's what I'm telling myself anyways!! I haven't done much in terms of exercise the past several months because I have felt so awful with all my anxiety symptoms... so my legs and arms shake and my muscles get extremely tired very fast if I use them at all. Hoping it is all a result of anxiety but always fearing it is something sinister

I've decided to just say screw it and go back to the gym. I went on the treadmill for an hour last night, and I'm gonna go back tonight. Logically I know that if I really had something wrong with me it would be the biggest coincidence known to man. The fact that this happened to me while my second son was born, ending a job I hated and starting a new one, and dealing with normal every day stressors just seems really weird if wasn't due to stress. The only thing I have trouble grasping is the 24 hours worth of the physical symptoms. I was under the impression that anxiety symptoms only occur when you are really anxious, but I've been reading that long periods of untreated anxiety can lead to some weird physical stuff.

This is an extremely common symptom of anxiety. The problem is the more we worry the more we shake...the more we shake the more we worry. This will run it's course and stop. Hang in there friend. You will get through this for sure.

N.

18 months of dealing with these tremors/muscle shakes/trembling. Starting to wonder when or if it will pass, but I'll keep living either way.

I think working out is a great idea George....and I hope it only makes things better for you. I need to start living more again and stop letting these symptoms rule my life! I am thinking of trying some antidepressants as my Dr feels it will help. I am really scared to start them because I am terrified of the side effects...but I just want to get back to feeling good again! I'm really hoping the tremors/shakes will disappear once the antidepressant takes effect!

I drove across the country last month to meet with a doctor about my condition. Had to take a few days off from work, so I mentioned to my boss what was going on, and he's been a complete dick to me since. Told me not to tell anyone in my office because they might think it's weird or something.

Also, had a breakdown and woes me moment at work today. But had a good therapy session, so that's good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information