Thread: I hate these adverts!!

I hate these adverts!!

Hi all

So I've been doing pretty well the last couple of weeks. Went to my appointment for my 24 hour ecg thing to be fitted. Was a little scared in the hospital at first but I'd calmed by the time of my appointment. ECG thing is a cool little device, even if the sticky pads feel odd! XD

So on to what has me irked. British Heart Foundation adverts.

I'm all for promoting charities that do good but the BHF adverts are awful. Maybe it's just my health anxiety and current worries about my heart but I find them really frightening.

To those who haven't seen them it's basically "anyone at anytime could drop dead from their heart failing without warning. Donate money to help us research".

The one on the radio (which played twice in 20 mins) is a lot worse than the TV one.

And I don't know if it is my OCD or anxiety by my brain worries that these adverts are actually signs trying to warn me of impending trouble.

Ugh!

Re: I hate these adverts!!

The problem isn't with the adverts. It's with your reaction to them. The purpose of these adverts is to raise money to help us better prevent these conditions in future, to support those living with heart conditions, and to raise awareness. They aren't made with anxiety sufferers in mind, and they have to be honest about the reality of these situations.

The thing is, heart conditions that kill suddenly exist. You'd know that even without the adverts. I can appreciate not wanting to be suddenly exposed to the subject, but to react with fear and panic won't change the fact that these conditions exist. It won't change anything.

Personally, I find the sudden killers less scary. Whether I die young or old, I'd much rather go quickly.

I don't suffer from health anxiety, but totally understand where your coming from.
    The wedding one that's on the telly is horrid!

Mind you it's beyond me how things like British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research etc are charity based in a rich country like this, but that's a different matter.

my brain worries that these adverts are actually signs trying to warn me of impending trouble.
    I cant tell you how many times a day I think these things. My therapist tells me its called Magical thinking

Magical thinking is an illogical thought pattern characterized by the linking of unrelated actions or events. Individuals may become preoccupied with lucky or unlucky numbers, colors, words, actions, sayings or superstitions and link them to catastrophe or 'bad things' that might happen.

Ive been through some incredible stuff in my life, some of it was even real.

-SC

Magical thinking, that's exactly what I was trying to describe! I know it's in my head but I can't help but have that niggling doubt

The wedding one is the first one I saw. The radio one is worse x____X

I have no problems with raising awareness since heart disease runs in my family (my dad had about 13 minor heart attacks plus two massive ones in one day that almost killed him when I was 12) and a family friend's son died at only 22 from his heart randomly packing in.
    What I didn't like about the adverts was them basically saying your heart could give out with no warning, no previous problems, any age and there is nothing anyone can do to save you. And that's it. No silver lining, just that. And considering I was on my way to have an ecg thing fitted due to rapid heart rate and "slight abnormalities" I was really rattled.

I'd be more than happy for "heart disease strikes any age. Millions of people live with heart disease. Please donate" etc. But this was just "people drop dead and no one can save them". No educating, just people die suddenly. Something we all know and don't need reminding of

The advert you're talking about is pretty brutal. It's not nice and I don't like seeing it. I can see an argument for them toning it down.

But, ultimately, the root of the problem is in the mind of the anxiety sufferer. Otherwise these adverts would trigger everyone, including those who don't suffer anxiety. It's about how you react to it - and this is something that can be changed with patience, perseverance and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphincterclench View Post
    I cant tell you how many times a day I think these things. My therapist tells me its called Magical thinking

Magical thinking is an illogical thought pattern characterized by the linking of unrelated actions or events. Individuals may become preoccupied with lucky or unlucky numbers, colors, words, actions, sayings or superstitions and link them to catastrophe or 'bad things' that might happen.
    I'm so glad I made not alone in this. Every time I hear something sad/upsetting or frightening health wise, I worry it's because the universe is trying to prepare me for it

It's a given that having HA means these adverts will be triggering. I'm not a HAer so they don't trigger me at all but I still disagree with them. They may not be graphic but they cross an acceptable line, for me.

The MHF adverts don't do anything other than look towards rare & shocking. They portray healthy, young people who suddenly die for no apparent reason and show the impact to loved ones. The first was the young boy who's dad is lost. The second is the bride's sister at the reception.

The adverts don't talk about anything other than unexpected things happen in life. So what? How does this tell healthy people to prevent it? Are the NHS going to screen the whole country early in life for rare life threatening issues? So why attempt to scare people who may go to their GP who then wastes time telling them the odds are incredibly low and won't test them off the back of a TV advert?

You don't need to do this to get donations. It turns me off them as I can see their game.

Contrast it with the stroke strikes ones. You can have a stroke at any time in life but it's much less common in younger age groups. They haven't portrayed someone aged 20 having one, they have used older actors to reflect a more acceptable stroke risk category.

It's just shock value. Are the odds of me dropping down dead in the region of me being run over by a runaway combine harvester in the middle of a city?

Certainly change how you view them so that they don't trigger your anxiety though.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 24-02-17 at 05:50.

Here in Australia we are bombarded with advertising about smoking and lung cancer. Recently it has changed and we are now bombarded with advertising about smoking and COPD. The TV adverts usually show a male or female hooked up to oxygen and close to dying. I always wonder if they are actors. Being an ex smoker I like to believe they are. It's better for my HA that way.

Thread Information