Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of brain abscess now

Fear of brain abscess now

i noticed a slightly black hole in my tooth last week, I freaked out because I hate the dentist but I knew I had to go. I havnt been since I was 9 (I'm 17 now). I got my mum to book an appointment but they said they can't fit me in till march 6th because I need an extra long appointment as I'm basically a new patient. Well today I noticed some more of the tooth had chipped and the pieces were stuck in the hole. I didn't know what to do so I used a pin to get them out then brushed my teeth. Now I have a huge hole in my tooth and my appointment isn't till over a week. Im terrified it will get infected and travel to my brain and cause an abscess because apparently that can easily happen. Even when I do go they won't do anything at that time. I don't know what to do till then because I don't think we are able to book an sooner appointment.

Re: Fear of brain abscess now

If you're really that concerned go to the doctor or ER and if there happens to be an infection they'll give you antibiotics to clear it up. And when you do go to the dentist, they're not just gonna send you home with an infected tooth. They'd give you medication to treat it. Try not to worry, you're gonna be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ww1399 View Post
    If you're really that concerned go to the doctor or ER
    With respect, a cavity does not warrant an ER/A&E visit especially with the appointment a little over a week away. Contrary to what Dr. Google and the anxiety dragon is telling you, this type of occurrence is ridiculously rare!

Go to the store and buy a dental repair kit to fill the hole in the meantime. It will help keep any debris out and help prevent any nerve pain issues.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The percentage of people who end up with brain issues because of an infected tooth is probably about the same as people who drown because they fell in a puddle.

This is irrational in the extreme, in other words.

With respect, if the tooth were to be infected, it could potentially get dangerous as with any infection and be quite painful. You have no idea what the tooth looks like or how much pain they might be in. One week is a long time to wait for an appointment with a horrible toothache.

As for the infection spreading to your brain, this isn't going to happen. But if it's painful or seems to be getting worse don't wait a week, you don't deserve to go through that.

Also, be careful about repairing your tooth at home as you could definitely do more harm than good and trap any bacteria in the cavity.

With respect, if the tooth were to be infected, it could potentially get dangerous as with any infection and be quite painful. You have no idea what the tooth looks like or how much pain they might be in. One week is a long time to wait for an appointment with a horrible toothache.

As for the infection spreading to your brain, this isn't going to happen. But if it's painful or seems to be getting worse don't wait a week, you don't deserve to go through that.

Also, be careful about repairing your tooth at home as you could definitely do more harm than good and trap any bacteria in the cavity.
    Yes, but you're essentially encouraging someone to visit A&E because of a dental cavity. Not really advisable, surely?

No, I'm advising them to not wait a week if they think their tooth is severely infected.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

The entire issue here is they don't want to wait a week to get their infected tooth fixed. The simple solution: visit your doctor, ER, or clinic for antibiotics. Problem solved until next week.

With more respect, the OP didn't state there was pain and again, an ER/A&E trip over a cavity is just not warranted.

Besides, the fact that a brain abscess from a cavity is a kin to being struck by lightning while sitting in a cave.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It's one of those things - how many people do you know with teeth? How many people do you know who have had cavities in those teeth? How many people have you heard of who have died from brain abscesses?

It's not something you have to worry about.

No, I'm advising them to not wait a week if they think their tooth is severely infected.
    Yes you are, of course, but you did also advise the OP to go to ER if they're worried in your initial response.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

The entire issue here is they don't want to wait a week to get their infected tooth fixed. The simple solution: visit your doctor, ER, or clinic for antibiotics. Problem solved until next week.
    Where did the OP say the tooth was infected?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information