Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Withdrawl

Withdrawl

Hi

I´m new here and would like some advice on withdrawl. I was given diazepam in January last year taking 15mg a day. I took myself down to 5mg a day in August and 3 weeks ago I went to 2.5mg. In the last few days I started to get some aches and pains, along with light-headedness and feeling slightly disconnected from myself. I also had an anxiety attack this morning from a compulsive behaviour that I didn´t follow through the night before.

I was advised to take a one-off 5mg tablet to ease the symptoms.

The trouble is I don´t know how serious withdrawal symptoms can get, nor can I find much info on them or how to cope with them. I´d be really grateful for any comments.

Thanks in advance,
    Martyn

Re: Withdrawl

Hi Martyn,

Many years ago I took a tranquiliser called Ativan starting at 5mg (previous to this i'd been on another benzo called Tranxene) but as time went on I found myself increasing the dose to 15 mg to get the same effect. I did this with my doctor's consent, but eventually found myself in trouble with bad side effects, so made the decision to come off them, and like you it took many months of reducing the dose to do so.

I ended up at 2.5mg and then nothing, but the withdrawl symptoms were quite bad for me from around 5mg, with trembling, lightheadedness, palpitations and feeling I couldn't get enough air. I also had many aches and pains all over my body because of tension in muscles that had once been tranquilised, even my eyeballs were tense! My teeth used to chatter because I trembled so much, but I was determined to come off them so I stuck it out.

Because of this whole experience I didn't take another pill for many years after, I hated even taking painkillers because I never wanted my body to feel so out of control ever again. I still had anxious times but I found more natural methods of dealing with it by taking herbal remedies such as Kalms, Valerian and Rescue Remedy (not sure what there is in Spain) and doing breathing exercises etc.

I think its a case of feeling worse before you feel better in the withdrawal period and it will improve. Try to find some relief with natural remedies during this period, they are not mind altering drugs ike benzodiazipams and they might just help you through it. Can I ask why you were taking them?

Welcome by the way
    ISB ☺
    Last edited by Catherine S; 24-02-17 at 22:55.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynRich View Post
    I´m new here
    Welcome to No More Panic, Martyn

I was given diazepam in January last year taking 15mg a day. I took myself down to 5mg a day in August and 3 weeks ago I went to 2.5mg. In the last few days I started to get some aches and pains, along with light-headedness and feeling slightly disconnected from myself. I also had an anxiety attack this morning from a compulsive behaviour that I didn´t follow through the night before.
    Are you on any other meds for anxiety?

I was advised to take a one-off 5mg tablet to ease the symptoms.
    This just kicks the can down the road.

The trouble is I don´t know how serious withdrawal symptoms can get,
    Despite the online horror stories about benzodiazepine withdrawal, most people don't experience severe symptoms. However, worrying about them is likely to make them worse. Withdrawal is not just about chemistry and biology. Psychology is at least as much a factor in symptom severity. Expect to suffer greatly and an anxious mind is quite capable of delivering your worst nightmare. The lightheadedness and depersonalisation are also fairly common anxiety symptoms, for example.

nor can I find much info on them or how to cope with them.
    The worst of the symptoms are usually short-lived so riding them out may be the best tactic. If the anxiety becomes unbearable ask your doctor to prescribe a small dose of hydroxyzine (Vistaril), a prescription antihistamine with pretty strong anti anxiety properties.

Omega-3s/fish oil supplements and exercise may also help. You don't need to run a daily marathon, but a good 30 minute walk 4-5 days a week can really help.

Hiya, you may simply be withdrawing too quickly?

From what I've read you'd really only want to be dropping 1 mg every week or two weeks once down to 5. Good job on getting this far though!

I was on 4 mg for a few months while sorting out other meds, made it down to 2 and had some big issues that may not have been due to diaz withdrawal. Recently I felt ready to come off. I have 2 mg tablets so split them in half and then to quarters. Went from 2 to 1.5, felt no different the first week, felt dreadful for 2 weeks (mostly body aches and tension and insomnia but not much anxiety) then reduced by another .5 mg when I felt stabilized and went through the same again.

Good news is it is possible and it's a great feeling of accomplishment. I'm slightly overdue for my next reduction but wanting to avoid doing it leading up to my period.

See if you can get 2 mg tablets as the reduction si easier to manage.

Thank you for the replies everyone (and the welcome). I also take sertraline for obsession and anxiety but therapy is helping a lot and I´m feeling a lot mentally stronger these days, although I´m not quite where I want to be yet.

I hear what you say about not worrying about withdrawal. I´ve said the same experience with tobacco and the symptoms are a lot easier to manage when you have a positive frame of mind. I worry about the lightheadedness because I suffered a convulsion when I was 11 and I guess it triggers a slight phobia, which doesn´t help when you read that a convulsion is also a possible withdrawal symptom, albeit very rare.

I was told to keep an eye on the lightheadedness but if others are just bearing with it and getting through it, I´m sure I can do the same.

Hi Martin, yes I think the convulsions are extremely rare and would be a result of coming off them too quickly, as in cold turkey. This can also happen to alcoholics apparently if they drink really heavily and then just stop. Shaz is right, and gives some good advice there.

Kept posting, we'll help you through it

ISB x

I agree with Shaz.

Convulsions are known in the context Cath gave. Given you've had them before, does your doctor have any concerns to monitor for that? I know they tend to with patients prone to it in any med where there is a predisposed factor, just as they do for other meds with impacts on certain organs or processes, but it sounds like you don't have a controlled condition with convulsions?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I agree with Shaz.

Convulsions are known in the context Cath gave. Given you've had them before, does your doctor have any concerns to monitor for that? I know they tend to with patients prone to it in any med where there is a predisposed factor, just as they do for other meds with impacts on certain organs or processes, but it sounds like you don't have a controlled condition with convulsions?
    No, I don´t have epilepsy. It was a one-off fit. Still makes me paranoid though and I do tend to get uncomfortable under flashing lights.

Ok, last night I went through a very stressful situation that made me feel suicidal for a few hours. It passed and I´m ok now but it was the most serious it has been.

I am going through a lot of stress right now but I´m also determined to come off the diazepam. It shouldn´t matter right? I´m back down to 2.5mg and more prepared for the symptoms of withdrawal.

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Also wanted to ask...I enjoy exercise but physical activity does seem to make the symptoms worse. Does this make sense as well or can it help in the long run to get through them?

Martyn,
    I am in the process of coming off clonazepam and have had a hard go of it.
    But in addition to the physical effects I feel after every down taper, I know that I am revving myself up psychologically as well.
    My psychiatrist has said she thinks I will be better when I am off it, as it is giving me anxiety thinking about it. The small dose I'm on presently is not doing anything for my anxiety anymore really and the longer I remain on it, the more I am concerned about coming off it!

I am terrified, but we can do this.

We can push through.

I hope you have support among friends and family.
    Diazepam has a long half-life which makes it easier for some people to taper off of. It also means you might not feel the impact of the taper until a few days after you've begun the lower dose.

I wish you the same success I wish for myself.

-Dora

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information