Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Section myself?

Section myself?

I can't cope anymore. I've had a terrible day full of ectopic heartbeats and breakdowns. I think I'm going to section myself as nobody believes that I'm ill. Has anybody ever done this? It seems my only option.

Re: Section myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1108 View Post
    I can't cope anymore. I've had a terrible day full of ectopic heartbeats and breakdowns. I think I'm going to section myself as nobody believes that I'm ill. Has anybody ever done this? It seems my only option.
    Not sure what this means, as I am in the US, where there is no such option. Explain?

Admit myself on to a mental health ward

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1108 View Post
    Admit myself on to a mental health ward
    You won't be able to. Simple as that. It's very rare indeed for anxiety sufferers to be admitted to a mental health ward. In any case, a mental health ward would probably make you worse.

Assuming the UK is similar to here, you can't just admit yourself or section yourself, even when you are at your wit's end, unfortunately.

When I was really bad a year ago I went to emergency 3 times and they almost laughed at me when I said I needed to be in hospital. Unless you are an obvious danger to others or are a high suicide risk they don't have the resources to deal with you.

Are you getting any treatment (meds/therapy) or support at the moment?

I don't know what the alternative is. I can't keep rushing back to a&e as I am. Not on meds as I'm 30 weeks pregnant. They did prescribe citalopram but it made me so ill that they took me off it. I just know I'm dying.

Go back to your GP. Tell them how serious your anxiety is and that you need urgent help. Don't get me wrong, I know waiting lists for therapy on the NHS are long, but that has to be your starting point. At the very least, your GP has a duty of care towards you. Then take it from there.

Forget about being sectioned. Believe me, you don't want to be.

I have also had an experience where A & E have refused any support for acute anxiety, however the process of going there and getting refused was beneficial, strangely! Standing outside in the cold air afterwards kind of jolts you out of the worst level of anxiety. If you want to be admitted I've been told you need to tell a lie and say you're suicidal, but that's not something I could easily do.

Edit: I was told that the hospital had a 'duty psychiatrist' who we could see, but that option failed to exist when we got there.

I think being sectioned would be a bad idea for you. I believe you that you feel something isn't right in your body. Pregnancy is a nightmare for some people with all the changes that they have to endure. I would request the holter monitor for at least 48 hours, and that will pick up whatever you're feeling. It will show whether it's benign or if you need treatment. I would only push for it because it's continuous, and it will give you some relief knowing that what you're feeling is benign. If it by chance wasn't benign, they have many medications to help.

I know you're very worried about pregnancy induced cardiomyopathy, and I've been doing a lot of reading about others that had it. The recovery is much easier and faster than someone with a different cause of cardiomyopathy. Also, it's rare. We both need to remember that. I'm trying to talk myself down while I'm trying to talk you down. We are going to be okay no matter what.

My anxiety tends to diminish by the evening, I get into bed and try and distract myself with radio or book or something. How are you now?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information