Thread: I feel like this can't just be anxiety

I feel like this can't just be anxiety

Hi all,
    Lately, after going through a period of feeling ok about my heart, I've really started to freak out again. Basically, I've noticed I can see my heartbeat in my stomach and my left breast for the past three years. I've been told by some that this is Normal or that it's caused by anxiety, and yes whilst it's far more noticeable when I'm anxious, it's still there 24/7. Is this truly normal for a healthy 20 year old female to see or is it a possible sign of a terrible disease??? Also I do get occasional palpitations, which really scare me. Some seem out of the blue,(which scares me more) but often it is when I'm over excited/ or extremely anxious. Is this normal for people to experience now and then? It doesn't happen that often, I would say at most 2-3 times a month or so.

Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm just so scared about it sometimes, and it doesn't benefit my heart when I do this, as it actually makes it beat faster, possibly palmitate and it becomes more visible! I suppose it was made worse by this horrid advert on TV about heart disease that scared me
    Thank you for any replies, really afraid of this x

Re: I feel like this can't just be anxiety

Yes, this is a very common symptom of anxiety.
    You have a pulse in your stomach and anxiety over sensitises everything so you are aware of it more.
    There is no danger in what you are experiencing.
    Try some relaxation APPs , they will help calm you.

I get this a lot, especially when lying on my back. I was once sharing a hostel room with a friend and the next day they said they couldn't sleep because my heart beat was making the bunk beds rattle (I was on the top bunk). I can also see it thumping away in my throat.

It's a little distracting but 100% anxiety as I've had more cardiology tests than you can imagine in the last two years.

The most difficult thing for me is that deep breathing exercises that are often recommended for panic and anxiety make me even more aware of my heart beat as my diaphragm inflates and becomes more resonant. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Yes, this is a very common symptom of anxiety.
    You have a pulse in your stomach and anxiety over sensitises everything so you are aware of it more.
    There is no danger in what you are experiencing.
    Try some relaxation APPs , they will help calm you.
    Thank you. Sometimes I know I'm being silly about it but I just can't calm myself about this stuff, my health anxiety is really bad, especially with heart issues/cancers

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AstroJ View Post
    I get this a lot, especially when lying on my back. I was once sharing a hostel room with a friend and the next day they said they couldn't sleep because my heart beat was making the bunk beds rattle (I was on the top bunk). I can also see it thumping away in my throat.

It's a little distracting but 100% anxiety as I've had more cardiology tests than you can imagine in the last two years.

The most difficult thing for me is that deep breathing exercises that are often recommended for panic and anxiety make me even more aware of my heart beat as my diaphragm inflates and becomes more resonant. Very annoying.
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it's so nice to know I'm not the only one! Know exactly how you feel though. I keep feeling like I should see a doctor about it but I know even if they say it's completely normal I will still worry. Thanks again

I would say this is normal. I have a super strong pulse in my abdomen (descending aorta) and I can feel it like crazy in certain positions or if I'm having stomach issues. I can also see my left breast pulse with my heartbeat. I've had this for as long as I can remember and I've had it checked (I was particularly concerned with an aortic aneurysm) and everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KaylaR88 View Post
    I would say this is normal. I have a super strong pulse in my abdomen (descending aorta) and I can feel it like crazy in certain positions or if I'm having stomach issues. I can also see my left breast pulse with my heartbeat. I've had this for as long as I can remember and I've had it checked (I was particularly concerned with an aortic aneurysm) and everything is fine.
    Thank you so much for sharing. So comforting to know that it's not just me and yours has been checked and all is good 😊

Few years later lol.. but how are you doing now? Did this ever go away for you? I'm having the same thing it's beating so hard it shakes my boobs and belly I'm so concerned about my heart. I can see it beat 24/7 and feel it everywhere.?! X

Thread Information