Thread: Is this an ocular migraine?

Is this an ocular migraine?

This has been happening a few times a week. I get a sudden onset of dull pain in one side of the face which dissipates over a few minutes. Then for the next 20 minutes, I see a bunch of "flutters" in that eye (small vibrations darting across the visual field).

I suppose the obvious answer is "yes," but I guess my question is has anyone else experienced these specific symptoms? And has anyone isolated its cause to anxiety? I don't remember this happening before my recent onset of anxiety.

Re: Is this an ocular migraine?

Hi there, obviously not being a trained medical pro I can't really speak authoritatively, but I would think that if this coincides with anxiety symptoms, then the two are definitely related.

When I get an ocular migraine, it's pain on one side of the head, like a band moving over, which quickly goes - and then a central blind spot - or, the two symptoms in reverse order. So, pretty much like what you describe. Sometimes it develops into a full-on headache, but not if I get to it with the painkillers first. It's triggered by stress, too much caffeine, too little caffeine, too much booze and too little sleep.

Re: Is this an ocular migraine?

Quote Originally Posted by beatroon View Post
    Hi there, obviously not being a trained medical pro I can't really speak authoritatively, but I would think that if this coincides with anxiety symptoms, then the two are definitely related.

When I get an ocular migraine, it's pain on one side of the head, like a band moving over, which quickly goes - and then a central blind spot - or, the two symptoms in reverse order. So, pretty much like what you describe. Sometimes it develops into a full-on headache, but not if I get to it with the painkillers first. It's triggered by stress, too much caffeine, too little caffeine, too much booze and too little sleep.
    Ok, phew. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Thread Information