Thread: Adult Seperation Anxiety Disorder

Adult Seperation Anxiety Disorder

Hello everyone, yesterday I made the first step to helping myself I went to see the mental health nurse at my local GP, poured my heart out for the first time in 44 years about my feelings, and she has said that I have Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder/attachments issues - which stem from my childhood. She has recommended that I see a CBT therapist, so now on the NHS waiting list to be see. Even though I cried for most of my appointment I feel like I have made the right step for my recovering from this crippling feeling I have.

Does anyone else suffer with this on here?

Abbi x

Re: Adult Seperation Anxiety Disorder

Hi Abbi. I'm glad you found the strength to open up to the nurse about your issues. Saying these things out loud is so hard because it makes them feel more real and at first increases anxiety. In my case at least. I have several anxiety problems but I also suffer from adult separation anxiety/attachment issues. You've make a very positive step and hopefully you'll get the help you need.

Yerrsssss, I also get this. With my parents, partner etc - I'm 36 and have had these issues right the way through since childhood but they've never gone away. It's a right pain, but being as brave as you have and going to get some help is the best way to deal with it all! Well done!

Hello both, I am so glad I am not alone it makes me feel better knowing that other people go through this too - I have only ever had it with my relationship partners - but this has been all my life and always blamed other people for leaving me/ending the relationship, where all along it has been my anxieties that have come inbetween us - my current partner has been amazing and we are working together on this. x

Thread Information