Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrified it's asthma or COPD

Terrified it's asthma or COPD

Hello everyone. Something has been weighing on my mind and I was wondering if any of you could give me advice.

I'll just start from the beginning. During fall break of my freshman year of college, so about 2 and a half years ago now, I remember coming down with a pretty nasty case of chest congestion. I didn't think too much of it as I don't even think I took anything for it and just let it pass on its own instead. During that time when I wasn't feeling well, I would still often partake in smoking weed (Not a good idea I realize). anyway, I remember really never completely shaking the shortness of breath feeling I had, mainly in my right lung. I usually only have a cough/wheeze if I have been smoking, but when I do, it always feels like it comes from irritation in the same place in my chest/windpipe on that right side. When I cough it feels like I only break up mucus on the right side, or rather that there is only mucus on that side to be broken. It's a cough that feels and sounds like it breaks up mucus but I've only ever had something come up twice. It was yellow colored both times. also as far as the wheezing, I wheeze from about that same spot normally only when I smoke. However I remember one instance of laying on the bed on my right side and having a mucusy feeling only to roll to my left side and hear the biggest wheeze I've ever had. It actually felt pretty good. I've heard allergies and ezcema can coincide with asthma as I have both.

So my question is, does it sound like I might have asthma? I've never had an attack as far as I can tell. Or could this all be caused by post nasal drip,allergies,anxiety without the added impact of asthma? I also have some symptoms of GERD like the globus, belching, etc if that gives a clearer picture. I understand you can't diagnose me, I already have an appt lined up, but a bit of a discussion so I don't dwell alone would be helpful

Re: Terrified it's asthma or COPD

I think asthma is unlikely. Smoking certainly irritates asthma, or it can since I have smoked in the last without irritation and I've had asthma around 30 years. But asthma has many potential triggers that cause inflammation and that's where the mucus comes in, which is usually clear. My doctors always told me to look out for yellow or green mucus when I had colds as it indicated a possible chest infection which back in those days when my asthma needed more help I would need antibiotics or even steroids.

With it mostly being a wheeze when smoking, it sounds unlikely but it's a question to put to a doctor. Asthma can easily be tested for by your GP.

But please don't be terrified of asthma anyway. It's very easy to live. It's only those with severe asthma that have difficulties and you certainly don't have that. People workout and run marathons with asthma these days. It's very common and easily kept in check with meds without impacting on your life.

Thanks for your reply. My wheeze/cough are definitely directly correlated with my usage. So much so that when I take prolonged breaks the cough basically isn't there and I have to really try to hear the wheeze. By that I mean I will have to listen carefully and breath a few different ways in order for me to maybe hear something that may have been a wheeze. The only thing that bothers me is how the irritation always seems to come from the same place down the right side of my throat and into my esophagus. Makes me feel like there's some permanent damage :(

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

I feel like I should also add that I've had two doctors listen to my breathing since the original infection. The one at my old Uni said it sounded tight in my chest and gave me prednisone which unfortunately I didn't take like I was supposed to. This was a little less than a year after the chest cold. The second time was just a few months ago by my GP back home. She said my breathing sounded fine to her. Could asthma or any other pulmonary disease present itself this way?

It's possible to make yourself wheeze by restricting your breathing so you having to do something to even think you can hear one could not be a real wheeze anyway.

Since you've been checked by a doctor since who heard no issues with your lungs, it seems unlikely. A doctor should be picking up on asthma if there are issues when you visit them.

If you have a documented pattern, which you seem to have with the infrequent smoking, it would be best to tell them this so they can do any further testing. Some people have asthma that doesn't present as persistently like exercise induced. A doctor can still easily perform a quick test there & then to determine if your lungs are within expected breathing ranges for your age.

Do you get out of breath when doing anything physical?

I'll try a few minutes on the treadmill tomorrow and get back to you on that. It's been a while lol. But thats comforting to hear. I was wondering if there are types of asthma that could've been in remission when my doctor listened to my breathing. But I do remember being able to last a while (for me) on the treadmill when staying at 5 mph but beginning to have trouble when I bumped up the speed if that helps. When that happens, I get a feeling that I've also had while drinking grape fanta. It's like an uncomfortable chest feeling kind of like heartburn. Thats been more than a year since that happened though so I may be different now.

There are types that come & go such as Occupational Asthma or Seasonal Asthma.

Smoking can certainly increase the potential for asthma. This explains the types:

https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/und...-asthma/types/

With the smoking leading to wheezing maybe it could fall into one of these or it may be that you are borderline and the smoking causes it to show? I don't know, you need a doctor to answer that question.

I just wondered about the exercise because sometimes it's less obvious when sedentary but starts to present when doing activities that put strain on you. If you have a concern it might, exercise testing should be on the say so of your doctor, they tend not to even test like that now for obvious reasons.

Well except for the last few months I worked out most days of the week over the last year and usually had no problems in that regard. It was lifting weight and not too much cardio so I'm not sure if that would count.

I have asthma, and while I'd rather not have it I'm not sure why it's "terrifying" you as a possibility, as if you've not had any attacks it's obviously mild, and while it's something to keep an eye on it's easily kept at bay with inhalers. The only time I notice it is when I'm daft enough to let my inhalers run low, and it gets a bit worse with hay fever. Obviously it would be strongly advisable to give up smoking were it the case. Not sure this is the answer here though (as coughs and mucous aren't anything to do with ashthma), but an asthma diagnosis isn't be to be scared of - in fact for the price of a couple of inhalers every month or two you'd be sorted.
    Last edited by axolotl; 02-03-17 at 14:56. Reason: typo

Thanks for that. I guess I'm just scared of horror stories of people with asthma just dropping dead. I guess that's mostly very severe cases that usually don't take their meds as prescribed and/or partake in irritating activities though. I've seen people say gerd can create asthma like symptoms. Does that mean you can feel like you have it without actually having it? Or you always have it and gerd is a trigger? I know the latter of the two is definitely true in some cases btw. Could it all just be post nasal drip that has found a home in my chest? Either way you've made me feel more calm so thanks for that 😊

I've had asthma all my life - but modern inhalers are wonderful - I don't even get mild symptoms anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information