Thread: Magical thinking

Magical thinking

I have really bad magical thinking OCD. I worry that thinking and saying things could cause things to happen. It's getting worse now I'm terrified to do anything cause my mind will say if I do this something bad will happen. I fear cancer more than anything I'm scared to death of all kinds of cancer especially breast cancer. I always check breast to make my anxiety stop and I've been having pain there and as I was checking I had a thought that I wanted to feel something when I know I would never want to feel any it would scare me out of mind. My OCD now has me scared that cause my mind thought that it will cause lumps or of cancer. I know it sounds stupid but this is really making worry I would never want to feel anything or have a disease but now that my mind thought that I'm worried any help I would appreciate

Re: Magical thinking

Anyone I have huge magical thinking problem need advice

Hi,Are you having any help for your OCD? ie:Therapy Councelling or Medication.

Magical thinking as i'm sure your aware doesn't cause things to happen.

Clarisse

Clarisse

Instant responses are often required on NMP. Sometimes waiting for someone to reply helps to put things in perspective and is not always a bad thing.

Very true sometimes pulisa.But looking through the OP s other posts, I doubt if this is the case here.

Clarisse

I understand what you mean and have experienced the same things. Like I'd have something good happen to me in a video game, like getting a rare item and thinking something bad was going to happen to me in real life because of it. And then along the lines of what you said, if I do or don't do certain things then something bad will happen. Obviously the underlying OCD and anxiety needs to be treated for those thoughts to get better. This can be achieved through therapy or medication or a combo of both, depending on what a doctor thinks would work best for you. Keep your head up, it gets easier.

http://musingsofananxiousmind.weebly.com

Dx: General anxiety, Depression, OCD/Hypochondria Rx: Zoloft and Effexor daily. Klonopin and trazadone as needed. Also take magnesium and vitamin D3 daily.

Thanks for your responses and yes I'm in therapy right now. My therapist said to just ignore the thoughts and if I wanna do something to do it no matter what the thoughts say.Somedays the thoughts bother me more then others.

The only advice I have is this: I was not able to begin to let go of my magical thinking until I let go of ALL of it. Even the parts that made me feel good or made me feel like they were protecting me and keeping me safe.
    When I stopped thinking that finding a penny was lucky, when I stopped thinking that wearing a certain shirt or saying a certain incantation at bedtime was keeping me or my children safe... then I was able to let go of the flip side: that something awful was going to happen because I wore the wrong clothes, failed to do something in a certain order, forgot to say some incantation, etc.

If no magic can keep you safe, then it stands to reason that no magic can endanger or harm you, either.

I am still, on a daily basis, working on this.

Best wishes.

Thread Information