Thread: Citalopram withdrawal

Citalopram withdrawal

After nearly 3 years, I'm coming off citalopram. I've tapered down from 40mg. I spent 4 weeks at 30mg and another 4 at 20mg. The first month wasn't too bad, a few headaches but nothing too exceptional. Then the dreams began! One the other night was awful, I dreamt I'd been injected with petrol! I stopped taking Cit completely 3 nights ago. Does anyone know how long the dreams go on for?
    Thanks

Re: Citalopram withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by deedee12 View Post
    Then the dreams began! One the other night was awful, I dreamt I'd been injected with petrol! I stopped taking Cit completely 3 nights ago. Does anyone know how long the dreams go on for?
    Thanks
    It is impossible to say. They are more an uncommon side-effect when taking antidepressants, than a withdrawal symptom. My guess is they won't last long. What causes them is a mystery, however, we usually dream mostly during REM, the deepest sleep stage, so antidepressants may either lighten this allowing us to partially waken while dreaming, or they cause/allow dreaming in other, lighter parts of the sleep cycle. I don't think they influence dream content, they just give us an insight into how weird, awful, and sometimes wonderful, our dreams can be.

If they continue to be an issue you could try taking a sedating otc antihistamine for a while. I usually recommend Benadryl (diphenhydramine), but I understand in Britain they use a less sedating compound so it may not be that effective, however, your chemist/pharmacist should be able to recommend an alternative.

Re: Citalopram withdrawal

Thanks �� I've got some light sedatives, I'll try them if it gets too much.

Thread Information