Thread: Stomach Issues/Worries (lengthy post)

Stomach Issues/Worries (lengthy post)

Hello, everyone! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Admittedly, I'm unsure if this falls under the "IBS" umbrella. I'm also sorry if this is incredibly long! I just have no one else to vent this to

So, around May of last year, I started belching a lot more than normal. It began to bother me after a few months, so I went to my gastro, who eventually prescribed me a PPI around August/September. I had a barium swallow (only checked my esophagus apparently) in September as well that came back clear. The PPI didn't really seem to help the belching, but my symptoms never worsened and I took the PPI up until January when he replaced the PPI for Pepcid. I stood on Pepcid until two weeks ago, when I started getting this really weird burning sensation in my chest and back that just wouldn't go away. Naturally, I freaked out and went to my GP, who figured it could be Esophagitis (maybe caused by the pizza I ate the day it started?) and recommended I see my gastro. Anxiety gets me and I'm in the ER the same night. They take my bloods, run an EKG - everything perfect. I see my gastro again, and he puts me back on the PPI for a month to see how I am.

Sorry for the crazy amount of background, but basically this is where I am now. Honestly, after two days on the PPI, I can very cautiously say that I might be feeling a little better, and I have no idea if it's due to the PPI or just the fact that I'm sleeping better/doing mentally better. However, I'm still a bit worried. Firstly, I'm worried about what I see about PPIs and that they can "mask" cancer symptoms or something. Stomach cancer has been the cause of my anxiety since the belching started. I'm also not sure if the warmth in my chest and back could've been withdrawal, or an ulcer, or anything else. It's all pretty confusing.

I am trying to think logically though, so here's my lengthy rationale:

- I know that stomach cancer really only affects people over a certain age. I'm nearly 24, and my odds of getting it are less than even half of a percent.
    - I have no risk factors. I never had H. Pylori (was tested in 2015, unless I got it during 2016 somehow), I'm actually a bit underweight and even gained few pounds during the past couple of months, I have no family history of it, and my diet has been pretty decent for years.
    - Stomach cancer generally takes many years to develop. In 2015, I had an endoscopy done, as well as MRIs of my liver and pancreas. I've also had a CT of my abdomen done in May for a possible appendicitis scare that came back clear. Unless stomach cancer suddenly happened out of nowhere in two years, which I doubt.
    - Literally all of my tests, save for some reflux and a sliding hernia, have come back perfect. Multiple doctors have pressed my stomach and have said it feels fine (again, I'm underweight, so I think that's pretty telling).

Still, even knowing ALL of this, I continue to worry over it, all because of one new symptom. It's all pretty exhausting. I'm a sickly person in general, so this stuff always sort of gets me depressed. I guess I'm just curious to hear what other people think. Does this really sound like GERD? Are PPIs masking something worse? Has anyone had stuff like this before? How does anyone deal with this? Again, thank you SO much if you read that monster of a post

Re: Stomach Issues/Worries (lengthy post)

Hi Robin

I'm going through this too.

Did you ever manage to get answers?
    X

Gosh that post was a long time ago, but this is part of what I'm going through too.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

wise monkey

Do you have acid reflux?

Yes at times but mine is caused by low stomach acid, so I don't take PPI's, only Gaviscon liquid or tablets.

How do you know its low acid?

Quote Originally Posted by molly15 View Post
    How do you know its low acid?
    PPI's don't help me much and H2 histamine blockers are off the market at present. I'm older and have some autoimmune issues and autoimmune issues often mean lowered stomach acid. I've had H-Pylori 15 years ago and had the treatment for it. I do get stomach issues and had a gastroscopy/endoscopy April 2018 and all was fine then.

Hi wisemonkey

Yes h2 blockers are impossible to get hold of as I was wanting to go on them to try and stop the ppi.

I'm sorry you have your health issues its not easy having anxiety never mind other things going on.

Helicobacter is very common i had it 9 years ago and got rid of it with antibiotics. I think they say 40% of the population have it.

I also find the ppi only helps a little . I find i still get all the throat ears and sinus issues from the reflux.

Stomach problems and anxiety seem to be very common for sure.

Thread Information