Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many were right?

Re: How many were right?

Oh goodness! So glad you've all been wrong! I've gone through breast cancer, lung cancer, cervical cancer, pancreatic cancer, soft tissue sarcoma, and currently skin cancer. :-(

What a great question! I've never been right about anything I thought I had during a period of anxiety. These things have included: lung cancer, skin cancer, brain tumor, kidney disease, blood clot/pulmonary embolism, MRSA, ovarian cancer, spinal tumor, heart disease... I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them.

I've had one serious medical emergency in my life, that I completely didn't see coming. And, when it did, I dealt with it without anxiety. The anxiety came AFTER when I was in a post-trauma situation thinking of all the things that could have gone wrong, but didn't.

An interesting question. I was never right. I'm not going to write a list of the diseases I was sure I had. Suffice to say that it would be a very long and ridiculous list. I have seen posts here from a couple of people who were diagnosed with "real" medical problems. But they were members who had been here for years so I think their HA was around long before their diagnoses. From what I have read I will say that they seemed to cope very well when they had to. I suspect most of us would.

I'm thinking that too, that we would cope better if it DID happen than we do just THINKING it might happen. Once we got past the initial OMG feeling of course.

With all my crazy scares I was always wrong. When my husband was diagnosed with kidney cancer (which I never ever suspected, it came out from the blue) my anxiety took a back seat. Both my husband and me faced cancer battle very calmly and constructively. Husband is cured and doing fine now. 2 years after his diagnosis I feel my anxiety returning, but it is totally unrelated to that cancer scare.
    So to answer the main question of the topic - nope, never been right. To answer the second question asked on 1st page - when hypochondriac is faced with real health challenge, he/she can find strength to deal with it in a brave reasonble way. Too busy fighting to worry :-)

Well at the moment I'm back to one of my classic health anxieties: meningitis. Havent had this particular one in a while. I've had a neck and headache on and off since Saturday and noticed some blood spots on my arm so turned up at the GP in a right state.
    He says head and neck ache is tension due to me going back to work on Thursday not something overly horrible. Still hasn't stopped me from checking (now fading) blood spots, constantly nodding my head and taking my temperature religiously.

Once I was right and diagnosed with Crohn's (strangely even though I was very sick at the time I was able to figure out it was Crohn's not colorectal cancer)

I'm thinking that our brains exaggerate symptoms to make them something bigger than they are. I know with my current one, skin cancer, I've had a few moles come back as atypical (one was severely) and now I have to have more skin removed and be vigilant about watching them. My brain, of course, has already worked out my death sentence, but in the end, I know I just need to be proactive with it. I WILL deal, even if that isn't my first instinct. Allochka, so glad your husband is okay and you dealt with it calmly. I think when the crisis really does come, we probably subconciously realize we don't have time for all that anxiety. We have actual stuff to do! I could be wrong, but that's how I figure it might be. I know when people I care about have something come up, I don't get anxious about it, I switch to battle mode. I am researching, asking questions, figuring out how things need to be taken care of. No time for anxiety.

Well..I knew something was "off" with my body, but I diagnosed myself with the wrong things. I'll find out soon enough what exactly is going on, but having anxiety makes things much harder for me. I'll get symptoms, freak out, and then everything feels worse because I'm trying to fight what I can't control. Fighting my anxiety just gives me more anxiety.

I tell myself this every day: If something bad is wrong, am I going to waste the rest of my time worrying? Or am I going to live?

It's hard but I'm choosing to live.

Ihavelostmymarbles (great name!), I feel you on that. I try to choose to live too, but sometimes the HA just takes over. I think I'm getting better about it. It's not all consuming like it was. Still there, still sometimes takes over, but for the most part, I try not to let it. It's the worst when I am sitting at my desk at work with WAY too much time to think!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information