Thread: Transvaginal ultrasound and blood work are fine, but irregular bleeding?

Transvaginal ultrasound and blood work are fine, but irregular bleeding?

Hello everyone,

In Jan I had bleeding for a month and 6 days.
    I was under extreme stress prior to that though. I went t the doctors and got a transvaginal ultrasound done and tons of blood work but everything is fine.

I've been blood free for about two weeks now and again the last two days I've been under extreme stress and depression and guess what? I just went to the washroom and saw blood when I wiped.

Could extreme stress/anxiety/depression for a couple days at a time cause this?

Re: Transvaginal ultrasound and blood work are fine, but irregular bleeding?

Quote Originally Posted by jennclark View Post
    Hello everyone,

In Jan I had bleeding for a month and 6 days.
    I was under extreme stress prior to that though. I went t the doctors and got a transvaginal ultrasound done and tons of blood work but everything is fine.

I've been blood free for about two weeks now and again the last two days I've been under extreme stress and depression and guess what? I just went to the washroom and saw blood when I wiped.

Could extreme stress/anxiety/depression for a couple days at a time cause this?
    In the absence of any abnormality on the ultrasound, my next guess is hormone imbalance.
    Yes, extreme stress can be responsible in that it can cause you not to ovulate. If you do not ovulate one month, then the following cycle will be extremely wonky. You will not produce enough progesterone in the second half of your cycle to counter the estrogen and hold your endometrial lining together, and you will develop an overly thick lining which will begin to disintegrate during the second half of your cycle, causing abnormal spotting and bleeding.
    Most often, your body will reset itself after a weird period or two, and things will go back to normal.
    If not, your doctor might prescribe a few months of progesterone supplements, which should resolve the issue.

Normal, healthy women occasionally have a random cycle where they do not ovulate (called an anovulatory cycle).
    But women under extreme stress sometimes stop ovulating until the stress is resolved... which makes sense from a biological perspective; your body does not want to take a chance of reproducing if it feels you are in life-threatening danger.

So, in short, yes. Your abnormal bleeding could be related to your stress, or it could be just a random occurrence.
    If no abnormalities were noted on the ultrasound, this is almost certainly related to hormones, and the most likely possibility is that you have not ovulated during the past cycle or two.

I think you should discuss this with your doctor and see whether your doctor thinks a progesterone supplement would help.

Re: Transvaginal ultrasound and blood work are fine, but irregular bleeding?

I wholeheartedly agree with the above information.

Sometimes switching birth control to a triphasic pill to a monophasic pill will also help.

Thread Information