Thread: Is this just a different kind of panic attack?

Is this just a different kind of panic attack?

Hi,

Last night as i was trying to get to sleep, my throat became really dry and kind of felt like it was really tight, it gave me a dry cough so i had some water but this didn't stop it. I could breathe ok, but it felt strange, and i started worrying that i wouldn't be able to. i felt anxious but i reckon this was just because i was worrying about what was happening. i managed to get to sleep in the end, but this morning i still feel a bit iffy.

I have social phobia and agoraphobia so i have experienced lots of anxiety/panic attacks before, but never this kind of thing, does it sound like a panic attack? I have had a particularly stressful week, but i've had worse ones and never had this before. Anyway i'm probably overreacting, if so sorry for going on!

Scarlett

Re: Is this just a different kind of panic attack?

Hi Scarlett, unfortunately with anxiety once you think you've had all the symptoms another one jumps up and bites you on the bum. I sometimes wake up during the night with a fear of not being able to breathe. I try to slow down my breathing and that seems to bring it back to normal. If you're worried, run it by your GP.

Hi Scarlett

I get that throat sensation alot. It feels like a lump or like a tightening, years ago I would stress it was something sinister but now I just accept its an anxiety symptom.

I agree with Jo, once you get your head around one symptom another hits you, then you freak out thinking "THIS CAN'T BE ANXIETY", but then we find out, it is.

I am pretty sure its just anxiety so try not to worry

Btw, iffy? is that a technical term?

Take Care

Jaco

Thanks to both of you for your replies and you made me laugh with your 'iffy' comment jaco lol

Scarlett

Hi Scarlett, this is also my bugbear at the moment and it is really frightening . No matter how much i tell myself that it just anxiety when it happens i feel like i cant swallow and i am going to choke, coughing makes it feel worse and i am constantly clearing my throat, i take tunes everywhere with me now so my throat doesnt get to dry and to try and clear muccus Too much info i know but it feels terrible.
    I was told to hum when your throat feels tight as it relaxes the muscles, i am also learning tapping. Jo your are so right about symptoms waiting to jump up and bite you i have had so many i have lost count, but when i think back to the first time 20 years ago with the butterflies, trembling and sweating and then i thought it was the end of the world and it couldnt feel any worse, Boy was i wrong That seems like a walk in the park to what has happened since. But i am sure if i could just get over this symptom i would be able to cope a lot better though my husband assures me i have said that countless times before only to run to him with another new symptom or pain (he reckons i am a medical mystery as i have had breast cancer brain tumours ulcers thrombosis mouth cancer and plenty more and i am still ALIVE) Sound familiar?
    Loopylynns husband made a comment at the midland meet up that is so true, "you are all in the same boat, unfortunately it is the titanic and it is sinking fast" hey -how better learn to swim!!

Jacqui x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

hi,
    Dont know if this will help you at all.. but recently i have had the breathing thing a lot..I get hot in the face before I go to bed and I dream anxious odd dreams and I wake up exhausted and feeling sick to my stomach and the breathing thing..well I thought it was just hayfever or sinus but must be a subconcious anxiety I am having or just being plain tired from not sleeping well.Yes i think what you are experiencing is the same thing I have been recently although my mind refuses to believe it because normally I don't usually get anything like that.. Hope this helps a little ..seems to be a common thing with anxiety sufferers..

Thread Information