Thread: 3 years since I have used this due to overcoming anxiety

3 years since I have used this due to overcoming anxiety

Hi everyone!!

Well it feels weird to be back here! I suffered terribly from anxiety, panic disorder and agrophobia from about age 17-23/24. After plucking up the courage I went to my Gp and started CBT. Anyway long story short, A combination of CBT and medication absolutely changed my life for the better!! I'm like a totally different person! I was given the chance to enjoy life again, go out with friends, go to university and do all the things I thought I could never do. There was once a time where I couldn't even leave the house so I am majorly proud of how far I have come. However I am now 26 and in my final year of uni and slowly the last couple of weeks, the anxiety and panic has began creeping back in. It's terrible and I am so scared that I will go back to the way I was before. My anxiety is that I am going to wet myself in public. Totally irrational fear but it's so real to me. Anyway I haven't felt like this in three years and I am so scared now. I am just looking for some support.

Thanks

Re: 3 years since I have used this due to overcoming anxiety

Hi,
    Well....I don't want to say welcome back!
    Uuuhh anxiety is such a pain in the butt I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling again. Unfortunately I've read that a lot of people with anxiety issues can find relief then relapse again.
    I can totally understand your fear of going back to where you were but I don't think you have to. You have gained a lot of tools to use with your CBT, maybe ask your GP for a referral to get a refresh? In your final year of uni I guess you're thinking about the future and the changes that are to come? It seems to me that this is a time to feel a bit anxious and because you are prone to anxiety and panic your brain is sensing threat and so going into fight or flight mode.
    The brain doesn't differentiate between physical threat and emotional threat so because you're coming up to a part of life involving change your brain thinks it needs to be on guard and trigger adrenaline. But, you don't need to fight a lion so all that adrenaline is misplaced.
    You have overcome so much already you know you have the strength to face this new chapter in your life so keep reminding yourself of this.
    I hope this 'blip' passes quickly and you're back to enjoying life again very soon
    Best wishes
    Vicky
    X

Re: 3 years since I have used this due to overcoming anxiety

Hi! ... I agree with Vicky and revisit your CBT and see a therapist for a top up session.

Have faith in that you have had some amazing years and can/will get back there. It is completely normal for symptoms to pop up again. You are probably putting pressure on yourself as I did, thinking by returning to see a therapist it is showing i have failed or revisiting my books, medication etc it means I am failing. I just look at my mind as an athlete needing support and therapy to keep in tip top condition.

Stay positive, accept the thoughts, don't force them out and they will slowly lose their power .. we all have silly thoughts and I just say to myself 'so what, does it really matter if I.... '

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information