Thread: bright light in vision

bright light in vision

I am getting really concerned about my eye sight, I have had a couple of migraines with aura this week. I get the zig zags and blind spots before the headache comes.
    Now I have just experienced a bright light in my vision as I was sat playing on the computer.
    It went after a couple of seconds and of course its put me into panic as I haven't had this before.
    Really worried I am going to lose my sight now!!

Re: bright light in vision

I get the bright light just before ocular migraine. Or, rather, it begins ocular migraines for me.

IMO, anything that happens for a secon or two and then thngs are normal would not indicate a person going blind.

I have an actual eye disease and the symtpoms don't just last For a couple of seconds.

Problem is I am waiting for it to happen again.
    This week I have had 2 migraines and before that I haven't had one for years so now I am worried about why they are happening.
    Bright lights seem to be starting the auras off.
    I am trying to put it down to being run down and tired but really I am worried its something to do with the brain or eyes.

As I said a bright light is always the beginning of ocular migraine for me. Then I get zig zag etc etc.

I GUARANTEE you that if you are waiting for it to happen again, it WILL.

Sometimes migraines can come in clusters. I have had only a handful of migraines--or what I would call migraines--in my life. And they have always been years apart.

I mean you can worry that it is your eyes or your brain if you choose. I do KNOW that eye ailments don't have signs that come and go. As I said I have an actual eye disease-- a type of retinopathy caused by stress. So I know. With the brain---see a neuro and have your migraines evaluated if you are that concerned. Better than sitting around borrowing trouble, IMO.

Ocular migraines can very easily be brought on by anxiety. Personally, I never experienced them before my recent onset of anxiety, and now I get a few a week.

I have the exact same OM symptoms as you. I bought a pair of cheap sunglasses that I wear whenever I feel the OM come on; that's been a huge help. It's also a good idea to move to a cluttered visual field (high depth of field, no white surfaces, as many objects as possible) so you observe the OM symptoms less.

Distraction is key, to be honest. The OMs will start to go away naturally as you worry about them less.

Also, losing your sight is extremely unlikely unless you possess specific risk factors (holes/lattice in your retina, age, myopia). If you have these risk factors, your eye doctor would have told you by now. If you don't know, make sure to check in for a yearly eye exam. I have two of the three risk factors, and even that puts my risk of partial eye-sight loss at a mere 5%. You're going to be fine.

Thread Information