Thread: Fever with very high heart rate

Fever with very high heart rate

I have been struggling with heart related anxiety for a couple of years and although things have been looking up recently with CBT, beta blockers and insights from this forum, I had a bit of a scary experience over the past couple of days.

Yesterday, I woke up with a fever, chills, aching all over and a very high heart rate. I was also getting a lot more palpitations, flutters and ectopics than normal.

My resting heart rate was around 130 and would jump up to 160+ when I stood up or tried to climb the stairs.

This has never happened to me with a fever before. I understand that the heart rate will rise with a fever to try and lower body temp and get blood to organs that are working harder, but this seemed a little extreme.

Fortunately, I woke up this morning feeling much better. Resting HR is back down to 80 although I have been feeling very lightheaded, seeing stars and experiencing pins and needles in my fingers.

I'm not too worried because I've recovered very quickly but I'm just curious if anybody else has had such a dramatic HR response to a fever?

Re: Fever with very high heart rate

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by AstroJ View Post
    I have been struggling with heart related anxiety for a couple of years and although things have been looking up recently with CBT, beta blockers and insights from this forum, I had a bit of a scary experience over the past couple of days.

Yesterday, I woke up with a fever, chills, aching all over and a very high heart rate. I was also getting a lot more palpitations, flutters and ectopics than normal.

My resting heart rate was around 130 and would jump up to 160+ when I stood up or tried to climb the stairs.

This has never happened to me with a fever before. I understand that the heart rate will rise with a fever to try and lower body temp and get blood to organs that are working harder, but this seemed a little extreme.

Fortunately, I woke up this morning feeling much better. Resting HR is back down to 80 although I have been feeling very lightheaded, seeing stars and experiencing pins and needles in my fingers.

I'm not too worried because I've recovered very quickly but I'm just curious if anybody else has had such a dramatic HR response to a fever?
    Well last March I had a throat infection and around 11pm that night my heart rate went up to 120bpm on rest and 200+ when I got up. This went on for 18 hours and I was virtually frozen with fear to the spot. I only got up when I absolutely had to! It was so scary that I typed a journal and said my goodbyes to people, I really thought I was a gonna! Never want to go through that again

xBettyx

Quote Originally Posted by xBettyBoopx View Post
    Well last March I had a throat infection and around 11pm that night my heart rate went up to 120bpm on rest and 200+ when I got up. This went on for 18 hours and I was virtually frozen with fear to the spot. I only got up when I absolutely had to! It was so scary that I typed a journal and said my goodbyes to people, I really thought I was a gonna! Never want to go through that again

xBettyx
    Crikey! Coincidentally, I think it's a throat infection that I've had. The only other symptom I've had (aside from the fever, HR and dizziness) is an incredibly sore throat.

I too spent all of that day stuck on the sofa not wanting to move. I hope this isn't how my body will deal with all illnesses from now on...

Quote Originally Posted by AstroJ View Post
    Crikey! Coincidentally, I think it's a throat infection that I've had. The only other symptom I've had (aside from the fever, HR and dizziness) is an incredibly sore throat.

I too spent all of that day stuck on the sofa not wanting to move. I hope this isn't how my body will deal with all illnesses from now on...
    I too am now petrified of getting any kind of infection for fear of the same thing happening but I have to remember that my body is doing what it's supposed to do to get rid of the infection. My body was working for me not against me as my anxiety was telling me!

So we get an infection and the body wants rid of it so it sends our body temperature up to fight it off, then the heart needs to go quicker to try and maintain stability! So it's all working well but we as anxiety sufferers with our panic think differently.

This is pretty common with a fever. Fever reducer of your choice (mine is Tylenol) and lots of fluids. My heart rate seems to stabilize when the fever goes down.

Now for the pp, the 200 bpm I would bring up with your pcp. If it is ever beating that high again with a fever, you'll probably want to go get some fluids at your emergency center. That sounds like dehydration.

I had a very nasty viral infection year and a half ago no idea what it was neither do the doctors but I had a raging fever of 39.8 and a heart rate of 190. I ended up in a&e getting fluids shoved through me and paracetamal IV once my fever got down so did my heart rate

Recovering from my conditions and looking to the future.
    I am not very active but do try to reply to mails.

Thread Information