Thread: OCD themes as National Enquirer headings

OCD themes as National Enquirer headings

Hey there,

So, I'm sure some people will disagree with this approach as it involves 'engaging' with obsessive thoughts too much. But it's something my therapist suggested I try, and I've found it quite a fun exercise, so do feel free to pitch in your own.

Basically, the game is to write out your OCD fears and themes as if they were being reported in a really trashy news outlet. So mine goes:

BEATROON CRUELLY DISPATCHES BELOVED WIFE FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON USING ONLY THE POWER OF HER BRAIN; WHOLE STREET APPALLED BY CALLOUS TREATMENT; FLAG AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE FLYING AT HALF-MAST; PRIME MINISTER MAY TO HOLD SPECIAL DEBATE ON NEW 'THOUGHT-MAGIC'; BEATROON FLEES TO SOUTH AMERICA WHERE SHE IS WORSHIPPED AS GOD BY UNCONTACTED PAPUA NEW GUINEAN TRIBE

In the days of my really bad health anxiety, it might be:

LOCAL WOMAN RIDDLED WITH 150 APPALLING ILLNESSES DESPITE BEING GIVEN ALL-CLEAR BY GP; 'I KNEW I WAS RIGHT' SAYS TRAGIC BEATROON, 36, WHO NOW FACES LIFE AS A WHEELCHAIR USER; TRAGIC BEATROON FOUND TO NOT HAVE A FUNCTIONAL BRAINSTEM etc etc etc.

Would find it fun to hear about other people's, but not if it's upsetting for anyone obviously. Anyway I thought I would share the technique as I'm finding it helpful!

Beatroon

Re: OCD themes as National Enquirer headings

It certainly shows the ridiculous side of irrational thoughts! And if it makes you laugh at yourself, then I'd say it's beneficial

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes. It's funny, and I've always found that humor deflates my fears and reduces them down to their proper size.
    Great idea.

Engaging is ok when it's done right. It's feeding back with negatives that is bad.

It's clear that what you are doing is forcing it into a laughable situation or dispelling it to neutralise it. That's all good to me.

Sometimes you can't quite process the irrationally but when you write it down and read it back, it makes more sense as the logical brain starts treating it much like any other possible problem to work through.

I shall have to think of some funny ones to add on.

MNIT strangles placid looking bus passenger queueing at bus stop and is awarded customer efficiency award by local bus company for fuel saving, reduction in wear & tear to seats and scheduling improvements

That's hilarious! I must say I quite often think about strangling other passengers on the bus, but as it's not ego-dystonic for me, it doesn't distress me

Haha! This made my day! I will definitely use this on myself!

I am always obsessing over fainting out of hunger so here goes:

YOUNG WOMAN PASSES OUT ON THE SIDEWALK OUT OF HUNGER AFTER EATING A BURRITO, COOKIES, AND DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER!!!!

It does sound ridiculous!
    Last edited by Megan99; 10-03-17 at 21:38.

Quote Originally Posted by beatroon View Post
    That's hilarious! I must say I quite often think about strangling other passengers on the bus, but as it's not ego-dystonic for me, it doesn't distress me
    I know what you mean

Man praised by clothing company for encouraging the strict wearing of Lonsdale t-shirts every Friday. Record sales recorded!

Thread Information