Thread: virtual reality and agoraphobia

virtual reality and agoraphobia

Hi,
    I keep hearing information about the use of VR in treating phobias, namely agoraphobia.
    I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this- either trying it at home with google cardboard, occulus etc, or maybe even in a professional environment?

Re: virtual reality and agoraphobia

Oh wow, No I haven't heard of this, I know they use it for some combat vets who suffer from PTSD, hmmm wonder if it would work for phobias. Will have to research it and see.

Part of me says, we'd know we were in our houses and that it wasn't real, but then again, that might be a good thing, because we'd associate the walk with the calmness we feel at home.

I'd be interested in trying it

Quote Originally Posted by mark84 View Post
    Hi,
    I keep hearing information about the use of VR in treating phobias, namely agoraphobia.
    I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this- either trying it at home with google cardboard, occulus etc, or maybe even in a professional environment?
    I suffer from agoraphobia and I'd be interested in this approach too but I don't know where you would get it in the UK (probably not on the NHS, I'm guessing but I could be wrong).
    Last edited by graham58; 29-01-20 at 20:32.

I saw an act on AGT that utilized that technology. Very interesting.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelated View Post
    Part of me says, we'd know we were in our houses and that it wasn't real
    You'd think, but VR is extremely convincing. Because of the way it works, you feel immersed because of the sense of scale. In some respects it can be pretty intimidating because your brain just accepts that what you're seeing is real.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You'd think, but VR is extremely convincing. Because of the way it works, you feel immersed because of the sense of scale. In some respects it can be pretty intimidating because your brain just accepts that what you're seeing is real.
    I agree. I volunteer in a museum during the summer and we're working with a local multimedia group who are designing some virtual reality "stories" for us to show our visitors, using virtual reality technology.

I put on one of the headsets we'll be using and saw a 3-d impression of Venice, including St Mark's Square, and a Chinese guy hitting a punchbag in a room which was almost scary; it looked as though he was about 5 or 6 feet away.

Thread Information