Thread: Head CT Booked but no contrast??

Head CT Booked but no contrast??

Hi guys,

For the last few months I've been worried my symptoms have been caused by something like an unruptured brain aneurism or maybe even a brain tumour.

I've been to see a neurologist who has arranged for me to have a CT scan of my brain.

That's all well and good but I notice he hasn't put me down for a contrast CT, just a regular one without contrast.

My understanding is that if there are concerns about aneurisms or tumours then contrast usually has a better chance of showing them on a scan as it makes detail a lot finer?

Has anyone had this experience with a head CT or does anyone know if it would still show any threats such as an unruptured aneurism even without contrast material??

Thanks in advance!
    Yorkie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Head CT Booked but no contrast??

I had a CT (and an MRI) due to my dizziness that I was experiencing months ago (no contrast). The results came back clear.

I was curious and also asked if anything like a tumour could be seen from these scans. The doctor said 'definitely'.

I also spoke to a friend who works for the NHS in the radiography area and she said she has spoken to radiographers in her department who have shown her what tumours etc look like as she was curious. She was shown a scan of a tumour. She could not see anything, at all. However, the radiographer explained what they look for and how they knew 100% of a tumour from the scan. What I'm trying to say is, radiographers are extremely skilled. Your neurologist will also know this, hence he/she will know whether contrast is required.

However, to ease your mind, why not simply ask your neuro/GP why no contrast is being used? Curiosity is nothing to be worried about.

Contrast is almost always only used to show more detail on an already seen abnormality

The normal process is they will give you a standard MRI which will DEFINITELY show tumours or aneurysms, if there is one there.

If that is the case, they will then arrange for an MRI/CT with contrast to show the detail and aid with sizing and grading.

The scan you have been booked in for will show if there is anything there, which there won't be im sure.

Hope this info is helpful.

Hi

Because I have NF I have brain scans every 18 to 24 months with MRI contrast. I know I have something on my pons of brain (not a tumour) but one of these soft lumps/bright spot whatever it is. It cannot be removed because if I did it will either put in a wheelchair or death

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information