Thread: Please someone talk some sense into me!

Please someone talk some sense into me!

I know my thinking is irrational at the moment but I can't help believing it and giving into it.
    I've had breast concerns lately and even though my gp told me she thought everything was fine I still couldn't stop panicking so she sent me for a mammogram. I had it done about 10 days ago and was told everything was fine. But I'm still worrying, still freaking out. It's as if I never had the mammogram and I'm still waiting to get it done.
    What do you do if you have a test done, get the all clear but the "what if it missed something" voice is screaming at you in your head?
    I know I'm sliding down a slippery slope here but I just can't stop!!
    Any advice anyone??

Re: Please someone talk some sense into me!

Reassurance is a short term fix. A test, like a mammogram, is a screenshot of your body at a particular point. Your subconscious knows this so the anxiety feeds off it and that's why you are back at this point.

You have to work at changing the way you think. CBT might help with this.

Ultimately you need to be able to say, "OK, I am not going to allow myself to continue on this slippery slope." and go out and get help and work on it. Work on it hard and you will begin to see results. Probably not immediately, but over time. You need to find the strength to do this or you will never manage the anxiety.

i know exactly what you are going through. i'm going through s/t very similar.
    i actually went for breast ultrasound in November for reassurance purposes only bec i didnt even feel any lumps, and i go occasionally for ultrasounds since im too young for mammograms.
    anyway, turns out they just noted on the report a intrammary lymph node. i never even heard of anything like this, so i panicked! i didnt even feel it. so i went ahead and started prodding and feeling, until i found much further in my breast, which i prob never even felt when doing exam, cuz i didnt think was part of breast.. of course when i actually found it, i really got hysterical and ran for another ultrasound 2 weeks after the first one. the results were exactly same and dr didnt even bother telling me that they saw anything. she just told me everything looks good. but bec she uploaded the report on her patient portal, i was able to read it. i called my ob/gyn (as they are a group, i called a diff dr almost ever day) and asked about the lymph node. they also said, nothing to worry about, its typical lymph node. As well, the radiologist that did the scan couldn't understand y i was worried. apparently she never heard of the condition health anxiety. shes like "y are u looking for problems? its just typical lymph node."
    but being that i actually feel this node- and its really palpable i still worry over it. i went as far to see breast surgeon. she felt it and told me nothing to worry about at all. she said i dont even have to come back to follow up..
    despite all this, i STILL WORRY.. i worry that in a month when i will feel it again at the monthly exam it will feel bigger and i know i will panic.
    so yes, reassurance helps maybe for a day... and then im back worrying.
    but if i were u, i totally wouldn't worry. u dont even have anything palpable. at least i do..

I know you just recently started therapy. Are you on meds as well? If not I would discuss this with your doctor and also discuss your internet habits with your therapist. Reassurance seeking will actually hinder your progress and is discouraged.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information