Thread: Anxiety when abroad and flying is involved

Anxiety when abroad and flying is involved

Hi everyone, I am new to the group and this is my first post.
    I wondered if anyone else can relate to my experience as I want to change but not sure how.
    If I go abroad and it involves flying I spend every evening unable to sleep properly and feeling really anxious worrying about possible scenarios that normally revolve around worries that myself or family member will end up having to be admitted to a foreign hospital, and having to stay for longer, and feeling isolated and far from home without help. Because of all the worrying and sleep deprivation I feel like a zombie, no appetite and generally feel that I am not living life to the full which makes me feel even worse.
    It seems to be worse when we fly rather than drive. I don't like flying due to feeling trapped and out of control. I realise I use alcohol as a crutch for this and drink before a flight no matter what the time of day. I also realise I use alcohol to try and relax especially at night so I can sleep.
    I haven't always been like this but I really want to change as I don't want it to effect my future enjoyment or hold me back from taking my family on more foreign holidays which I can actually fully enjoy.
    My wife is going to USA with a friend for a few days and it has made me determined to change because if it were me I would be worrying loads and trying to find excuses not to go etc
    thanks in advance for reading this and for your experiences and any coping strategies or techniques for getting better.

Re: Anxiety when abroad and flying is involved

I've had this.

Perhaps a fear of flying course would help you - not that you are scared of flying per se, but getting used to being in a plane on a short trip, being in the airport and exposed to a trigger without alcohol will help.

You could also see your GP - some prescribe low dose diazepam for flights if this is appropriate and could be a possible step to exposure.

I got myself some counselling with a very understanding person centred counsellor, and was very happy with my progress, going away twice in 6 months.

Re: Anxiety when abroad and flying is involved

I too have the same issue and want to travel but can't. I am due to fly to Ireland from London this Friday. I don't know if I can. I wonder if anyone has used propanolol or Valium for flying and which is best. I have both but rarely take them. My heart races each time the plane has even any slight turbulence and also have claustrophobic feeling. Have not flown in 6 years...

Thread Information