Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health anxiety about kids

Re: Health anxiety about kids

Hi , I am new here. And have health anxiety about my children. I have 3 boys and 1 girl. 2 of my boys have mild pectus excavatum. My neice was recently diagnosed with marfan syndrome where pectus is a sign. My niece also has the marfan heart issues. However her dad has those same heart signs. Signs are pointing to her dad's side . My sister and her ex husband prob are not going to do the genetic testing. My kids only have the pectin sign really and their fingers are a little bendy. But that's it. I have moments of clarity and know my kids are fine . But i still find myself obsessing about it and worrying.. I hate the feeling!

I have this anxiety too. It’s horrible isn’t it. I hate the thought that I’m passing my anxieties to my child too.
    Could you speak to a doctor about your fears - rational and irrational? Hopefully they can find you some help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lot of anxieties about my children’s health too. When my eldest was little I was obsessed about the size & shape of her head - I was convinced she had a brain bleed or a tumour becAuse her head was a couple of centiles bigger than the rest of her. It never changed, she was otherwise completely normal but I panicked constantly. I would watch her to see if she had a squint (sometimes I convinced myself she did), if she was favouring one arm or the other etc. With my son i’ve Had recurring fears about cancer - sarcoma & leukaemia specifically because he sometimes complains of leg pain & he does seem to pick up every infection going. He’s had bloods & an X-ray - all normal but still I worry.
    The rule in our house now is I trust my husband and my mum. If they aren’t concerned then the kids don’t go to the doctor. They are just as invested in their wellbeing as I am and they’re so much more objective. I don’t want to pass my anxieties on to my kids & while it’s incredibly hard for me at times to do this & there have been arguments about it when i’m Convinced i’m right it really is for the best.
    It always upsets me when I read about ‘mummy knows best’ and ‘always tryst your mothers instinct’ because in my case this couldn’t be further from the truth or my kids would never have made it this far!

Hi supermom

I’m so scared all the time worrying about my child would you be happy to talk?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information