Thread: Kind words

Kind words

Hi All,

I'm afraid I can't think of anywhere else to turn to tonight - i'm in a very bad way and really in need of some kind words tonight. I'm having extreme anxiety and feeling in a lot of distress - it's been going on for the last 5 days.

I cannot sleep which is exacerbating the issues massively. Last night I got one hour. The doctor called me today and I ended up crying on the phone to him for a good ten minutes. He could tell I was in a bad way so he decided to change me from 10mg Citalopram to 20mg Fluoxetine. He also gave me some promethazine for sleep - although I've tried that before and it hasn't helped much with sleep to be honest.

It started because I've been getting pains in my lower abdomen along with a constant need to pee. The doctor has checked me for infection and i'm all clear. I had similar symptoms 5 years ago which again caused a lot of anxiety but I got through that eventually. But my anxiety has led me to read some horror stories of men who have the same symptoms and who are in pain for many years.

I've really really frightened myself. And i'm trying to tell myself this is all anxiety...just like the last time. But it's so difficult to remain rational when it feels like my brain is screaming and i've had no sleep.

I'm trying to concentrate on getting the anxiety better and hopefully the pain will follow.

But i don't know what to do. Or where to turn. And i'm sorry for ranting to all of you as I know you all have your own problems.

Rob

Re: Kind words

Hi Rob,

Firstly, don't apologise! You're clearly going through a tough time and I and others are here for you.

I too suffer from really bad anxiety, probably more Social Anxiety than generalised but I can relate to how you're feeling.

I don't know if this would help you at all and it may seem silly to some but what calms me down when I have really bad anxiety is Buddhist meditation music. I'm not religious in the slightest but I feel when I plug my headphones in my ear and listen to this music for a good half hour, my heart stops racing and I feel a wee bit more 'grounded'. Just do a search on YouTube and see if it helps. For me, music gives me something to concentrate on when it feels like millions of anxious thoughts are rushing around my brain.

As for trouble sleeping, it's not something I suffer with fortunately but again, try music. When we think and think and overthink again, it's nice to have something to concentrate on. Listening to soft piano music helps send me off to sleep. Just really concentrate on each sound and note instead of every bad thought that arises. Try it at least and see if it helps.

when you go to bed at night and put your head on your pillow, tell yourself that this is your time to relax. Leave all the worries and anxiety for the morning. It's the one time when you are allowed to just be careless and selfish and give yourself a "night off" from your anxiety.

I'm sorry if none of this helps you, it does a little for me and I just wanted to share it with you.

Please feel free to message me anytime if ever you need a chat. You're not alone.

Hi, sorry things are so distressing for you at the moment. Its a difficult place to be in & next to no sleep just makes it more so. It is so hard to move past those worries. You don't need to apologise to us lot for letting it out, most of us have been there in one way or another & hopefully it helps a little. I really hope you have a better night tonight & things ease soon, take care xx

Thank you so much Jm for replying and for replying with such a kind thoughtful message.

Your advice is great and I'd love to follow the tips - it's just tonight feels like my anxiety is too far gone at the moment. I need just to sleep and hopefully tomorrow I'll be more ready to tackle it with the tools you've mentioned.

I wish I had a tablet I could take to knock me out for 12 hours. But I know that's not a long term solution.

Being on here does help though and helps me take my thoughts of myself. So thank you so much for replying to me. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLondon View Post
    Thank you so much Jm for replying and for replying with such a kind thoughtful message.

Your advice is great and I'd love to follow the tips - it's just tonight feels like my anxiety is too far gone at the moment. I need just to sleep and hopefully tomorrow I'll be more ready to tackle it with the tools you've mentioned.

I wish I had a tablet I could take to knock me out for 12 hours. But I know that's not a long term solution.

Being on here does help though and helps me take my thoughts of myself. So thank you so much for replying to me. I really appreciate it.
    Don't mention it buddy! You won't feel like this for long. It will pass. Just know and trust in that.

I feel like I should listen to my own advice at times haha

I hope you at least get some decent level of sleep tonight and do try those tips tomorrow and see how you get on.

Thread Information