Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misdiagnosis stories sending me into panic!

Misdiagnosis stories sending me into panic!

Hi all, lately I keep stumbling a across articles about doctors misdiagnosimg diseases when patients really had serious illnesses. Some of these are related to google searches yes, but other have just popped up on my facebook newsfeed etc. I'm a 20 year old female with suspected ibs and I keep seeing articles about young women who were misdiagnosed with this and actually had the big C...,,today I practically had a panic attack over one of these. I keep feeling that if it could happen to other young people then what about me? I hate my health anxiety and what it does to me :(

Re: Misdiagnosis stories sending me into panic!

I have this problem too it's so difficult - I wish I could forget the stuff I've read! All of it! A good thing to bear in mind is that a story about how a person suspected an illness and it turned out to be... nothing - won't make the news or headlines. Because it happens so often and it just wouldn't be "worthy" scaremongering news. But the story of misdiagnosed patients will because it draws people in and is fairly rare.

Take a deep breath and you'll be okay [hugs]

I'm the exact same as you. HA full blowname the now and can't shake the feeling the doctors missed something. It's so hard to rationalise when you get to that point.

Hi Libra, like everything there has to be some perspective. Yes it does happen, has done in the past and will happen in the future but statistically it doesn't happen very often. I'm 63 now and health anxiety started for me in my 20s. I've had lots of health fears over the years but have never been misdiagnosed, and out of all the members on this forum..and there are many, I can't recall anybody else being misdiagnosed either. Fearful of it like yourself yes, but I don't recall anybody being told they had nothing to worry about by a doctor or had something minor when it was actually life threatening.

Yes it does happen but thankfully very rarely, and it's certainly nothing to base a lifetime of worry on.

IBS x

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricAlice View Post
    I have this problem too it's so difficult - I wish I could forget the stuff I've read! All of it! A good thing to bear in mind is that a story about how a person suspected an illness and it turned out to be... nothing - won't make the news or headlines. Because it happens so often and it just wouldn't be "worthy" scaremongering news. But the story of misdiagnosed patients will because it draws people in and is fairly rare.

Take a deep breath and you'll be okay [hugs]
    Thank you so much for your reply Alice!
    I wish I could forget stuff too.. I wish I wouldn't even click on articles like that but as much as I tell myself not to, I do anyway! You make an excellent point though - there must be thousands of us health anxiety sufferers thinking the worst and being diagnosed with something much simpler or nothing at all! Another thing I also need to bare in mind is that these people's symptoms worsen over time, until they are a terrible condition so in comparison to me it is different, and yes these articles make the news because they are rare. I just need to calm down and not read this stuff in the first place! x

I was just telling a friend that actually, Internet will give you cancer faster than cigarettes will !
    Unfortunately, telling someone with anxiety to stop checking is useless. I know, I'm in that boat. I see it as some forms of self harm.
    Try and not get to worked up over it. There's note chances we are part of the of the rule than the exception

Quote Originally Posted by Gaby18 View Post
    I'm the exact same as you. HA full blowname the now and can't shake the feeling the doctors missed something. It's so hard to rationalise when you get to that point.
    Thank you for your reply Gaby! nice to know someone understands this. It is hard but I hope to overcome this and all the best to you x

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

I was just telling a friend that actually, Internet will give you cancer faster than cigarettes will !
    Unfortunately, telling someone with anxiety to stop checking is useless. I know, I'm in that boat. I see it as some forms of self harm.
    Try and not get to worked up over it. There's note chances we are part of the of the rule than the exception
    You're so right! you type anything in and it is a symptoms of cancer! My friend said something similar actually she said that you google anything that it will either come up as pregnancy or cancer or both! Which is so true! its pointless telling myself to stop reading this stuff, but I'm working on it

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    Hi Libra, like everything there has to be some perspective. Yes it does happen, has done in the past and will happen in the future but statistically it doesn't happen very often. I'm 63 now and health anxiety started for me in my 20s. I've had lots of health fears over the years but have never been misdiagnosed, and out of all the members on this forum..and there are many, I can't recall anybody else being misdiagnosed either. Fearful of it like yourself yes, but I don't recall anybody being told they had nothing to worry about by a doctor or had something minor when it was actually life threatening.

Yes it does happen but thankfully very rarely, and it's certainly nothing to base a lifetime of worry on.

IBS x
    Thank you so much ISB! That's a good point, when I talk to others on this site, I never doubt they've been misdiagnosed or have anything serious and although I feel the same way as they do, when it's me I always fear the worst. I think I need to try even harder to avoid these articles! Thank you! That's a long time to cope with health anxiety, do you suffer from it most of the time or do you have any sort of help? I'm thinking of getting some sort of therapy or something because its taking over my life x

Libra, as I said, I'm in the exact same boat right now and worrying myself sick but still can't help looking. I've convinced myself I have a terminal illness despite having seen 3 doctors who aren't worried whatsoever. Sometimes it's just hard to reason yourself.
    Ignorance is bliss if you ask me !
    All the best to you x

Libra, as I said, I'm in the exact same boat right now and worrying myself sick but still can't help looking. I've convinced myself I have a terminal illness despite having seen 3 doctors who aren't worried whatsoever. Sometimes it's just hard to reason yourself.
    Ignorance is bliss if you ask me !
    All the best to you x
    Yes I understand I know when I google its not going to be good and I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for as even when I find something positive, I keep looking anyway and I find something worse. I just can't stop and its terrible and never ending! x

No I don't suffer from HA these days thankfully. Perhaps wisdom does come with age! I've never had therapy but do take beta blockers, because these help to calm down my heart from the pvcs that I've had most of my life. My health fear was always connected to my heart because of this, and although I still do get the 'missed' beats and flutters I no longer fear them as I once did. I wouldn't have survived this long if my heart was diseased in any way.

I always believed the cardiologists though, always trusted them to tell me the truth, because these are the people who perform open heart surgery and transplants and actually hold hearts in their hands during those operations, so why wouldn't I trust them to tell me the truth about my heart too.

ISB ☺ x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information