Thread: Heart palpitations

Heart palpitations

Does anyone else get heart palpitations? Mine are driving me crazy right now- a couple times a day it seems my heart flip flops in my chest.....I went to the ER for this about 2 months ago- my EKG came back abnormal, but then they had a cardiologist look at it and he said it was normal- when I experience these they freak me out because I just keep wondering why they are happening. I am trying not to rush to the doctor over this because I think it's probably stress/anxiety related as I have been very worked up lately. Does anyone else experience this type of palpitation? Also I don't have any other symptoms with it- no chest pain, no dizziness, no sweating, nothing just a weird sensation that my heart has flip flopped. Any suggestions on how to make them stop?

Re: Heart palpitations

Yes I totally get these all the time. I've been to the hospital several times with tons of the flip-flopping sensation in the chest. it kind of feels like a fish flopping around. The doctor has me on a 30 day Holter heart monitor. He says he believes it's most likely due to stress. It's scary isn't it? It totally doesn't feel normal at all

Yes it is scary! Did your doctor give you any tips on how to make them go away?

Quote Originally Posted by Chawk384 View Post
    Does anyone else get heart palpitations? Mine are driving me crazy right now- a couple times a day it seems my heart flip flops in my chest.....I went to the ER for this about 2 months ago- my EKG came back abnormal, but then they had a cardiologist look at it and he said it was normal- when I experience these they freak me out because I just keep wondering why they are happening. I am trying not to rush to the doctor over this because I think it's probably stress/anxiety related as I have been very worked up lately. Does anyone else experience this type of palpitation? Also I don't have any other symptoms with it- no chest pain, no dizziness, no sweating, nothing just a weird sensation that my heart has flip flopped. Any suggestions on how to make them stop?
    I get these sometimes. I can also see my heart beat in my chest and stomach. It really freaks me out. I usually get the palpitations when I'm anxious but sometimes they seem to come out of the blue. I try to stop them by bringing my shoulders and chest in and seems to work. I think its really common in anxiety sufferers so try not to worry especially since you were told it was normal. I still need to make an appointment but I've been like this for at least three years.

I just started taking Celexa for my anxiety. I've heard they are benign, but I know what you mean about them being scary!! My doc suggesting meditation and yoga. The flip flopping feeling is a PVC, which is an early beat.

Thank you for the replies! I have been thinking about doing some type of exercise to deal with anxiety- yoga seems like a good place to start

They are mostly caused by stress and anxiety. At least for me and everyone else that i've spoken with. They are benign in almost all cases. I've had them for 12 years and when they first started they were awful. I freaked out so much and became agoraphobic. After some tests and assurance, I got better. Still had random episodes but it was totally manageable. Anxiety came back in full force not too long ago and so did the palpitations (PVCs/PACs) so it goes to show you the relation. I have days where I get a few, and days where I get 50. Anxiety has been bad so I almost expect this, but that doesn't make me any less freaked out, unfortunately.

Would they hit you randomly? Like even when you weren't anxious at the moment?

Yes. They do. I think that's one of the hardest things about equating these to anxiety because I can be anxious for days and not have any and then they just hit me. I will get them without anxiety, not many, but I'll get them. It's just the way it goes, and I think It's like that for a lot of people. Most who don't notice. That's the other thing to consider, most people don't know the feeling, they aren't in tune with it or they aren't aware of it. Us anxious people. particularly heart anxious will look and wait and feel every variance in our heart rhythm. I think anxiety makes your heart more irritable, allowing the irregularities some room to strike whenever.

Thread Information