Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone benefit from statistics?

Does anyone benefit from statistics?

If statistics don't comfort you... stop reading here.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious if anyone benefits from statistics when they have health concerns.

SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results) in the US provides incidence rates and percentages that you will get a disease or die from it. Under their Interactive Tools there's a "Know your chances" link. You can then see your chances of dying from things in the next 10 years.

For me it really helps to put things in perspective. For instance... I fear Melanoma. Its a big worry for me. But I'm twice as likely to die from a Flu than it at my age of 27. That's comforting because I have had the Flu, and I didn't die. Or how I'm, as likely to die from Lung Cancer, which is pretty much unheard of at my age.

I use this tool when I'm a little irrational and need to remember that I'm more likely to die of homicide than Leukemia or whatever.

Re: Does anyone benefit from statistics?

Sure. For me it is aways a reasurrance to know if my chances of vile diseases are quite low.

Statistics really changed my anxiety when I learned that I could access this information.

My health anxiety was once completely unmanageable. This was 2 years ago. For an entire Christmas vacation I sat in one place not moving and not eating because I was worried about Stomach Cancer.

I learned about incidence rates and it helped majorly to see that I had like a 1 in 100,000 chance per year.

I still have health anxiety because sometimes I think a tiny chance like that is huge. One cancer I worried about recently I had actual reason to worry. It was CML, but the chances were crazy low. Because I had a high WBC, I convinced myself that my chances were actually higher. So its not always perfect.

Yes, I'm the queen of statistics in my home, haha. I know all of them and they really do help me quite a lot when I'm suffering. It also helped to learn about how statistics are manipulated for headlines (such as the use of % increase in risk vs. the actual chances of getting something).

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    If statistics don't comfort you... stop reading here.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious if anyone benefits from statistics when they have health concerns.

SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results) in the US provides incidence rates and percentages that you will get a disease or die from it. Under their Interactive Tools there's a "Know your chances" link. You can then see your chances of dying from things in the next 10 years.

For me it really helps to put things in perspective. For instance... I fear Melanoma. Its a big worry for me. But I'm twice as likely to die from a Flu than it at my age of 27. That's comforting because I have had the Flu, and I didn't die. Or how I'm, as likely to die from Lung Cancer, which is pretty much unheard of at my age.

I use this tool when I'm a little irrational and need to remember that I'm more likely to die of homicide than Leukemia or whatever.
    Yes! When i was worried about, say, HIV... the only thing that could comfort me was reading statistics about it (it's rarer than most people think) and working out complicated math problems estimating my likelihood of having it. Lol.
    Same with many of the rare cancers I've been afraid I had.
    There is something comforting about the cold equations.

PS wow, I like this interactive tool! Lol.
    It says at my age (44.... I rounded up to 45) I have only a 1.05% chance of dying of any type of cancer in the next ten years.
    Love it!

I'm glad I was able to help!

I have about a 1% chance of dying in the next ten years. Mostly made up of accidents which I am not afraid of oddly. That's the funny part of all of this. I'm far more likely to die from an accident than any cancer, but I worry about cancer every waking moment.

Statistics help me until they don't.. Or until I know someone who "beat the odds" and was the exception to those statistics.

That being said they definitely give me reassurance when I have a particular symptom and my mind goes to cancer. I've said this over and over is that cancer in general is still relatively rare. AND advances in technology are amazing and the hope is that you'll still die from something else before you die from cancer should you be diagnosed.

Statistics are extremely beneficial. I've taken a few statistics courses back when I was in college and I still rely on it today when my health anxiety flares up. There's always that "what if I was the one in a million" thought but are any of us really that lucky/unlucky?

I've never heard of a hypochondriac who died of the thing they were most afraid of, or even got diagnosed with it. That would make us pretty lousy hypos, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by PASchoolSyndrome View Post
    Statistics help me until they don't.. Or until I know someone who "beat the odds" and was the exception to those statistics.
    That's exactly where I'm at right now. I'm persuaded I'll be one of those unlucky 0.7%.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    I'm glad I was able to help!

I have about a 1% chance of dying in the next ten years. Mostly made up of accidents which I am not afraid of oddly. That's the funny part of all of this. I'm far more likely to die from an accident than any cancer, but I worry about cancer every waking moment.
    Haha, my biggest fears aren't even on the list. I apparently have a higher risk of accident, suicide, homicide...and if I manage to survive those three, then maybe we can talk about some kind of illness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information