Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was doing so well...

I was doing so well...

Well, isn't this a way to make a first impression? I guess I should tell my story:

I've had health anxiety since 2011 and had "diagnosed" myself with diabetes, pancreatitis, neuropathy, and cancers of many kinds including but not limited to colon cancer, testicular cancer, even lung cancer at one point, as well as various niche diseases I can't remember. I used to consult Dr. Google on everything and while sometimes I got reasonable answers, most of the time it lead me to one of those "diagnoses" above.

I had done so well in recent times not being a hypochondriac and I had gone a year without Googling until this last weekend when I was cleaning out my belly button and discovered what I thought was blood and immediately panicked. I looked it up and it said it's mostly an infection but being the nervous wreck I am I looked for other causes and found portal hypertension. I started cleaning the Hell out of the navel and yesterday in today it's stopped bleeding but instead does a clear spot when I clean it out.

Someone on another forum said it was a natural thing after a wound and I want to believe it, especially since there's been no blood, but my irrational side wants to think I'm on my deathbed somehow. I've been a wreck, I've had to force myself to eat, my stomach's been aching, I've had diarrhea, all of which I strike up to nerves, but my hypochondriac side is saying I'm sick and I'm going to die.

Can one of you help snap me back into reality? I'm sorry for my life story but this relapse has hit me hard.

Re: I was doing so well...

I'm in the middle of a relapse too. They suck, don't they?

Our belly buttons can harbour some really odd stuff. During one experiment a man was found with a bacteria in his navel that is only found in Japan. The guy had never even been to Japan!
    The blood could have been anything. Maybe you did have a cut it infection, nothing wrong with that. Could have been lint or anything at all!

I also get stomach pains and the runs when my ha flared up, it's a totally normal reaction to stress. You are fine

You're NOT alone. I'm on meds and in therapy and am On meds and I'm having a terrible relapse. You are fine. Belly buttons do this. Not sure why. My kids have had this happen from time to time. Ugh it sucks to be scared every second. I hope you feel better

I'm glad I'm not alone on this but my belly button never did this as far as I know. It scared the crap out of me and made me convinced I was going to die. Even now I'm still a little anxious.

Hey! This is nothing serious at all! My husband had this a couple times and just recently got it again. His was a fungal infection, the doc gave him an antibiotic and it was cleared up within a day. His was also oozing out some clear or white liquid. I never saw it, but this was just based on my husband's description. The other few times he got it he told me it was bleeding. Again, the antibiotics would clear it up.

Seems like the most plausible but there's a red spot above my belly button. Is this something to be worried about? I had an appendectomy years ago (Which strangely enough is what triggered my HA to begin with since I Googled and I was right) and I'm not sure where the scar is, and I think that area is where it was.

Sorry if it feels like I'm grasping at straws, it's the relapse.

I'm not sure if he had redness but I checked online and apparently redness and itchiness is a common sign of infection

Yeah I had some redness and when I took a shower it stung in that area. I'm starting to worry a little bit, but I think I went through this before.
    Last edited by AbeLinkedIn; 20-03-17 at 22:03.

Just in case anyone wants an idea of what the area looks like. The red part above the navel is what scares me since that's where my appendectomy was done years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a pretty standard patch of sore skin to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information