Thread: Mirena coil moved

Mirena coil moved

Hi everyone
    I posted recently about abnormal bleeding between periods (which has been occurring on and off for years- I never sought treatment because it kept going away again and was always around the time I ovulated so assumed it was an ovulation bleed, but it got worse in the last few months.)
    I had a hospital appointment on Saturday and they found my Mirena coil is way too low down so it might be that. They are going to take it out and do a biopsy to be sure.
    However, the Dr said it's unlikely to be effective at that position, so now I'm really upset as I have had this bleeding for 4 years (1 year after I had coil put in) so it's probably been in the wrong place all that time so I am probably infertile :(
    Has anyone had any experience like this? I don't want to google. I know it's jumping to worst case scenario but I'm so gutted. I'm 26 and in a relationship and I have recently started to become so excited about the thought of children together :(

Re: Mirena coil moved

I can see how it would be easy to jump to the conclusion of infertility. However, in addition to being a physical contraceptive, the Mirena also releases localized hormones to prevent pregnancy from occurring. I'm sure it was probably still being effective.

I have a mirena coil too and since they have progesterone in I am sure even if it moved it would still be effective.

Ok thank you. The doctor told me to use condoms as a precaution before it gets taken out , I guess justt to cover their backs...

Thread Information