Thread: Esa medical assessment

Esa medical assessment

Hi all,
    I suffer from anxiety/depression and have been claiming esa benefits in the Uk. Have received a letter for a medical assessment and was just wondering if anyone has passed this with mental health problems? From what I've googled it all seems like most people failed. Tbh just the thought of going is making my anxiety worse.

Re: Esa medical assessment

Hi

Are you in the wrag?

I have severe anxiety and am stuck indoors all the time now. I am on esa in the support group. I also have physical problems but when I received the notice that they were putting me in the support group (after I was put in the wrag and appealed), I got it on mental health problems.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

After nearly a year on ESA at assessment rate, I had my assessment here at home in February. This week I received a letter informing me that I had to attend the Jobcentre to meet with my "work coach". I've been housebound for years, which is why they came to see me here, so I've no idea how they think I'm going to be able to attend appointments.

From my experience the ESA medical assessment doesn't seem to make any provision for mental health problems. If you can wash yourself, cook and manage the basic functions of life it seems that you'll be placed into the WRAG, even if, like me, you can't actually go outside. I'm now in the process of getting help from the advocacy service at the CAB, in order to launch an appeal. I'd suggest having somebody with you for your assessment. Do you have a support worker?

You have my utmost sympathy. After years of poor mental health this past year felt like I was making progress; that vanished in a moment when I received the letter from the DWP. There's simply no way I can do what they want, and if I can't get them to change their mind, I've no idea what I'll do.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not in the WRAG at the moment. Just on the assessment rate at the moment.

Like I said I do receive esa for the anxiety according to the letter I received. They said it would be detrimental to my health if I was put in the wrag.

You can check out some sites, perhaps here:-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ort-allowance/

http://dpac.uk.net/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be.../fill-in-form/

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Terror Gorilla View Post
    After nearly a year on ESA at assessment rate, I had my assessment here at home in February. This week I received a letter informing me that I had to attend the Jobcentre to meet with my "work coach". I've been housebound for years, which is why they came to see me here, so I've no idea how they think I'm going to be able to attend appointments.

From my experience the ESA medical assessment doesn't seem to make any provision for mental health problems. If you can wash yourself, cook and manage the basic functions of life it seems that you'll be placed into the WRAG, even if, like me, you can't actually go outside. I'm now in the process of getting help from the advocacy service at the CAB, in order to launch an appeal. I'd suggest having somebody with you for your assessment. Do you have a support worker?

You have my utmost sympathy. After years of poor mental health this past year felt like I was making progress; that vanished in a moment when I received the letter from the DWP. There's simply no way I can do what they want, and if I can't get them to change their mind, I've no idea what I'll do.
    And you have my utmost sympathy. When will people understand that anxiety can stop you virtually from putting one foot in front of the other?! So many people suffer but they are going backwards in their thinking towards it.....even that is frightening.....what help is there professionally for us? They cut down everything and then wonder why the anxiety is through the roof

I am so glad that you are getting help from the CAB, let's hope that you can get somewhere with the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by xBettyBoopx View Post
    They cut down everything and then wonder why the anxiety is through the roof

I am so glad that you are getting help from the CAB, let's hope that you can get somewhere with the appeal.
    Thank you.

I think it's remarkable how many people massively overestimate the kind of help there is out there, and these are people who are relatively well informed, certainly in comparison to the majority of the public. For example, I had a friend come to visit me a couple of weeks ago. He's a university lecturer and has long-term issues with depression himself. He suggested a number of possible solutions whilst he was here and one-by-one they've fallen over, either because nothing like that exists, or if it does, it doesn't cater to people with my kind of problem. I spoke to my doctor about getting help with my agoraphobia (my friend suggested I asked for a support worker to help me try and get outside) and she told me that, if a service wasn't offered by Mind, then it doesn't exist. People don't understand just how difficult it is to get any kind of meaningful help.

Quote Originally Posted by Terror Gorilla View Post
    Thank you.

I think it's remarkable how many people massively overestimate the kind of help there is out there, and these are people who are relatively well informed, certainly in comparison to the majority of the public. For example, I had a friend come to visit me a couple of weeks ago. He's a university lecturer and has long-term issues with depression himself. He suggested a number of possible solutions whilst he was here and one-by-one they've fallen over, either because nothing like that exists, or if it does, it doesn't cater to people with my kind of problem. I spoke to my doctor about getting help with my agoraphobia (my friend suggested I asked for a support worker to help me try and get outside) and she told me that, if a service wasn't offered by Mind, then it doesn't exist. People don't understand just how difficult it is to get any kind of meaningful help.
    there are too many hurdles to get over to get any real help its well hidden so have empathy for you been there my self and jumping over the hurdles is not my idea of fun!! Cheers

Thread Information