Thread: The most natural remedy of all...breathing...

The most natural remedy of all...breathing...

I have just come out of CBT a changed person and this single lesson has helped me the most with the general tension and anxiety.

Pay attention to your breathing, is your upper chest moving or your abdomen? If your upper chest is moving try the following.

Lie down and totally relax your stomach muscles, let your stomach drop and breathe nice and slowly though your belly button (not literally, this just helps you breathe deeply from the diaphram) keep practising this and be aware if your breathing changes again. Just say to your self in a calm soothing voice "it's ok (give yourself a pet name, mines dude), your breathing from the chest lets just relax my stomach muscles and breathe from my belly button"

It may be a bit weird at first especially if you have been breathing from your chest for so long, my CBT coach told me that chest breathing floods the brain with oxygen causing it to light up at the drop of a hat and almost over react to any situations which is where the panic and anxiety comes from.

Trust me, try this, even if it helps just one of you. I know this might be an over generalisation, but, it does help.

Re: The most natural remedy of all...breathing...

Breathing the 'wrong' way has always caused problems in anxious and fearful people. This causes tension and constant tension affects most parts of the body. It affects breathing in that it creates a more shallow breathing pattern which in turn alters the carbon dioxide and oxygen levels, and leads to over breathing or lightheadedness and sometimes into full blown panic attacks.

Yes, breathing exercises can really help to promote more normal deeper breathing which can then redress the balance. Thanks for sharing and its great that you found your CBT session a positive one

ISB x

I'll try it tonight Thanks!

Thanks for this information, i breathe shallowly sometimes and I know this can intensify feelings of anxiety. Glad you are feeling better.

Has anyone been passed onto cbt classes through the NHS or do you have to pay for them yourself?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darren83 View Post
    Has anyone been passed onto cbt classes through the NHS or do you have to pay for them yourself?
    Thanks
    If you live in England & Wales, we have IAPT. You can normally self refer otherwise your GP can refer you.

If you Google "IAPT NHS Choices" it will bring up their page with a search feature for your local IAPT provider. It should tell you their website but if not you can Google their name to find them.

Otherwise Googling "IAPT" + your area will often find them. They should also be listed on your local NHS trust's website as well as your local council's.

IAPT services are free. They provide various services, including CBT based ones and full courses of CBT, but it splits into Level 2 & 3. The latter being where it is more intensive CBT over a longer period of more sessions. Their website will explain their services.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    If you live in England & Wales, we have IAPT. You can normally self refer otherwise your GP can refer you.

If you Google "IAPT NHS Choices" it will bring up their page with a search feature for your local IAPT provider. It should tell you their website but if not you can Google their name to find them.

Otherwise Googling "IAPT" + your area will often find them. They should also be listed on your local NHS trust's website as well as your local council's.

IAPT services are free. They provide various services, including CBT based ones and full courses of CBT, but it splits into Level 2 & 3. The latter being where it is more intensive CBT over a longer period of more sessions. Their website will explain their services.
    Thanks a lot, valuable information and much appreciated

Thread Information