Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Describe diazepam taking it for the first time.....help me understand

Re: Describe diazepam taking it for the first time.....help me understand

I won't try it again now. I have concede defeat and I now have 9 long days to wait for my family to come home. I'm absolutely devastated and in no for state to try and book another flight.

Going to try a fear of flying course and get back to my doctors for councilling.

Hi Colin..

I hope you are OK.

Your scenario is exactly one I experienced in 2007 and another in 2008!!!

2007 I as due to take a holiday with other half and children, they were young then.

I had a massive breakdown, the beginning of my anxiety, or knowing I had anxiety.

My husband went on without me, that was what I wanted for them so, I can relate to your situation.

There are lots of bits in between 2007 and now BUT I now fly, using diazepam which is massive help. As a previous post on here tonight, I still suffer massive anxiety beforehand and realise that this will happen but if that is the worse bit and it doesnt happen on the flight, I can live with that.

I hope you get help and also say, more importantly, that dont rule out flying again as it can happen. I WAS EXACTLY IN YOUR POSITION AND THOUGHT NEVER AGAIN TO TRY THAT BUT HAVE FLOWN SHORT HAUL EVERY YEAR NOW AND ONE YEAR, TWICE

Feel free to PM if you wish to talk.

regards.

Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by eternally optimistic View Post
    Hi Colin..

I hope you are OK.

Your scenario is exactly one I experienced in 2007 and another in 2008!!!

2007 I as due to take a holiday with other half and children, they were young then.

I had a massive breakdown, the beginning of my anxiety, or knowing I had anxiety.

My husband went on without me, that was what I wanted for them so, I can relate to your situation.

There are lots of bits in between 2007 and now BUT I now fly, using diazepam which is massive help. As a previous post on here tonight, I still suffer massive anxiety beforehand and realise that this will happen but if that is the worse bit and it doesnt happen on the flight, I can live with that.

I hope you get help and also say, more importantly, that dont rule out flying again as it can happen. I WAS EXACTLY IN YOUR POSITION AND THOUGHT NEVER AGAIN TO TRY THAT BUT HAVE FLOWN SHORT HAUL EVERY YEAR NOW AND ONE YEAR, TWICE

Feel free to PM if you wish to talk.

regards.

Jackie
    Thanks for the reply and support, I really hope I can fly again but I'm not doing it any time soon.

I'm going to send your reply to my wife as she just can't grasp my fear and I need her to understand it's not just me that suffers from those debilitating illness.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    I'm going to send your reply to my wife as she just can't grasp my fear and I need her to understand it's not just me that suffers from those debilitating illness.
    It definitely isn't just you. It's why many airlines run fear of flying courses for hundreds of people at a time. You might benefit from one. Pretty sure BA and Virgin do them and if memory serves, EasyJet does too.

No problem Colin.

I think if want to overcome this, you should do in your own time when you are more at peace with it all and not overwhelmed to conquer it for others, although I am sure you want to do this too.

Hi guys,

I am new to this website today and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on Diazepam?

I have had agrophobia for around 2 years. At first it was quite severe, i could not travel, use public transport or even drive my own car.

Now 2 years later, i am finally going to try a holiday! I have high hopes for the trip as i have made good progress the past year, now being able to get on trains, buses, and just go out!

Going on holiday still freaks me out massively. I am only going to Portugal so its only 2hr 30 mins flight, however i am quite worried.

My doctor has prescribed me diazepam of 5mg. I have never tried these before?

Can anyone tell me how good they are? As im super worried i may even need to drink wine aswell!!

Thanks,
    Amy x

Quote Originally Posted by amyhannahxx View Post
    Hi guys,

I am new to this website today
    Welcome to No More Panic, Amy

Well, you sort of have as diazepam is the main natural benzodiazepine (BZD) found in all foods, albeit only in small, though not insignificant amounts. Most life has become so adapted to these naturally occuring BZDs that it can no longer survive without them, and this is especially so for us mammals.

Can anyone tell me how good they are?
    Diazepam can be very effective for fear of flying, but you should try it a couple of times well beforehand to see how it affects you. One of the main issues is that initially it can be very sedating which can be an problem when travelling.

On departure day take it an hour or two before scheduled take-off (don't drive after taking it). Also try and get a seat as far forward as your ticket class allows as the air is freshest toward the front and elevated CO2 is a known anxiety/panic trigger. It's only a small thing, especially on short flights, but even the little things can make a difference. Also stay well hydrated.

As im super worried i may even need to drink wine aswell!!
    NO! Do not hydrate with alcohol while on a BZD. Firstly, combining alcohol and benzodiazepines may make you more sedated and/or tipsy. If severely affected you will not be allowed to board. Secondly, alcohol and benzodiazepines both depress brainstem activity. Among other things, the brainstem produces the breathing reflex and people have asphyxiated during sleep after taking BZDs and drinking.

Flying is very safe these days, Amy. Much safer than the train and bus 'deathtraps' you've been happily travelling on lately. The most dangerous parts of your journey will be the rides to and from the airports, not the flights between them...and don't get me started about those mad Portuguese!!

Quote Originally Posted by amyhannahxx View Post
    Hi guys,

I am new to this website today and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on Diazepam?

I have had agrophobia for around 2 years. At first it was quite severe, i could not travel, use public transport or even drive my own car.

Now 2 years later, i am finally going to try a holiday! I have high hopes for the trip as i have made good progress the past year, now being able to get on trains, buses, and just go out!

Going on holiday still freaks me out massively. I am only going to Portugal so its only 2hr 30 mins flight, however i am quite worried.

Can anyone tell me how good they are? As im super worried i may even need to drink wine aswell!!

Thanks,
    Amy x

I'd suggest getting more and having 3 days talking it on the build up to flying to keep you calm before hand then plenty for the day.

My problem was not being calm enough for about a week before I was due to fly out. Then when it had no effect on the day my anxiety spiked and I couldn't fly.

Strange how we are all so different and respond so differently to meds.
    I am sorry the diazapam didn't work well for you. 2 mgs works a treat for me prior to a stressful situation. I think its something you need to familiarise yourself with prior to an event especially us anxiety sufferers so we know what to expect.
    I would describe diazapam as been a subtle calming experience. You are still very much you and in control, you just feel less tense and relaxed. 2 mgs takes the edge off for me and I would try 2mgs for a few days prior to a flight as it builds up in the body so you will have a bit extra in there leading up to it too. After that, Id forget about the diazapam until another urgent situation arises as so easy to become reliant on them. Not sure why 12mg didn't work for you but I would imagine if you were already freaking about the flight aswell as the taking of the diazapam then you were just in too high stress mode....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information