Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Describe diazepam taking it for the first time.....help me understand

Describe diazepam taking it for the first time.....help me understand

I take escitilopram for panic and anxiety, I am going on holiday in May and this will be my longest ever flight. Normally I'd get drunk on a short flight and hope for the best but my doctor has given me diazepam.

I just want to know how it feels, what happens to the body and mind, how long would 2mg take to kick in?

I'm not keen on taking tablets of any kind so I want to know what I will be feeling to see it will help.

Re: Describe diazepam taking it for the first time.....help me understand

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    Normally I'd get drunk on a short flight and hope for the best
    Many airlines won't let people board if they are visibly drunk because they represent a danger to themselves and others in an emergency.

I just want to know how it feels,
    Probably the main effect will be sedation. I suggest you take one a couple of days before your flight to see how you're affected.

what happens to the body and mind,
    People with anxiety disorders have fewer benzodiazepine (BZD) binding sites on GABA receptors in the threat processing areas of the brain making them overactive. Benzodiazepines such as diazepam compensate for the lack of BZD binding sites by increasing the effectiveness of the sites we do have. When a BZD molecule binds with a BZD binding site it enhances the response of the associated GABA receptor. When GABA receptors are activated by GABA molecules they open chlorine ion channels into cell membranes. Chlorine ions are negatively charged so when they enter cells they make it harder for the cells to reach their 'firing' voltage which slows down the firing rate.

BTW-BZDs, especially diazepam and its metabolites, are found naturally in all foods. Our brains are quite used to them, in fact couldn't function without them.

how long would 2mg take to kick in?
    Plasma levels peak at around 1-1.5 hours after diazepam is taken so take it about an hour before take-off. But DON'T drive after doing so as it may begin affecting your ability to drive safely earlier than this (which is perhaps a pity as the most dangerous parts of flying are the drive to and from the airports, not the flight between them, therefore this is when you should really need BZDs the most).

The things which may help are to get a seat as far forward as your ticket class allows as the air is the freshest near the front - CO2 is a potent anxiety trigger, and drink lots of water to compensate for the very dry air. Some recommend taking a centre seat, but ime, window seats are better as the passing scenery is a good distraction. Also take something that will absorb your attention during the flight, a book, Kindle, or other electronic device, etc. Or simply engage the person sitting next to you in conversation.

Sounds like much of that was written by a doctor and not someone that had taken it.

I just want to know how it makes you feel and react and in general people's experience of using it.

It's meant to make you feel warm, fuzzy and relaxed. But doesn't work for me @ 2mg,5mg or 10mg

LOL Colin, that's the way panic responds to posts! Valium will just mellow you out. Here in the states doctors won't prescribe it for one it's very addictive. It's a feel good pill, relaxes you and calms you down. Don't drink alcohol with it or you will fall asleep. I wish I could get it just to help me sleep, but like I said doctors won't order it here anymore.

I was prescribed 4mg of diazepam for a presentation that I was worried about. Was told to take 2mg a day before to make sure it didn't "zonk me out", then another 4mg about an hour before I made my presentation.

Honestly, I didn't feel heavily sedated or fuzzy, perhaps because I was on quite a low dose of the stuff. However, I did feel as if all my worry and anxiety had quite literally disappeared. I'm usually very anxious when I walk down the street, always trying to avoid eye contact and being concerned about how others perceive me, yet I remember, about 10 minutes after I started walking to class, that I didn't feel any anxiety whatsoever. Just before I made my presentation, I did feel slightly worried and was trying to inconspicuously reach into my bag and take another one! However, as soon as I started presented all the problems that normally afflict my presentations - rapid heartbeat, sweaty hands, shaky voice, all didn't materialize. When I normally do a presentation, I start to panic after a couple of minutes, yet diazepam made me carry on for over 20 minutes! The best part about it though was that afterward I didn't feel any of the worry I normally do about what I did wrong - I felt like it had been a success, the first time I have not spent hours after a social event musing over my mistakes.

About 6 hours after taking diazepam I became conscious that its effects were wearing off. Around this time I start feeling very tired and drowsy, although after another couple of hours this feeling wears off too. The only other side effect I noted was constipation, although there's no guarantee that it was caused by the drug.

This is quite a detailed response, and I hope it gives you some insight into the way diazepam works. I plan on taking it every time I have to do a presentation (which isn't that often), and just taking beta-blockers for the rest of the time. I hope it has the same effect on you!

Quote Originally Posted by snowghost57 View Post
    LOL Colin, that's the way panic responds to posts! Valium will just mellow you out. Here in the states doctors won't prescribe it for one it's very addictive. It's a feel good pill, relaxes you and calms you down. Don't drink alcohol with it or you will fall asleep. I wish I could get it just to help me sleep, but like I said doctors won't order it here anymore.
    I would be quite happy if it sends me to sleep through my whole flight!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Octane View Post
    I was prescribed 4mg of diazepam for a presentation that I was worried about. Was told to take 2mg a day before to make sure it didn't "zonk me out", then another 4mg about an hour before I made my presentation.

Honestly, I didn't feel heavily sedated or fuzzy, perhaps because I was on quite a low dose of the stuff. However, I did feel as if all my worry and anxiety had quite literally disappeared. I'm usually very anxious when I walk down the street, always trying to avoid eye contact and being concerned about how others perceive me, yet I remember, about 10 minutes after I started walking to class, that I didn't feel any anxiety whatsoever. Just before I made my presentation, I did feel slightly worried and was trying to inconspicuously reach into my bag and take another one! However, as soon as I started presented all the problems that normally afflict my presentations - rapid heartbeat, sweaty hands, shaky voice, all didn't materialize. When I normally do a presentation, I start to panic after a couple of minutes, yet diazepam made me carry on for over 20 minutes! The best part about it though was that afterward I didn't feel any of the worry I normally do about what I did wrong - I felt like it had been a success, the first time I have not spent hours after a social event musing over my mistakes.

About 6 hours after taking diazepam I became conscious that its effects were wearing off. Around this time I start feeling very tired and drowsy, although after another couple of hours this feeling wears off too. The only other side effect I noted was constipation, although there's no guarantee that it was caused by the drug.

This is quite a detailed response, and I hope it gives you some insight into the way diazepam works. I plan on taking it every time I have to do a presentation (which isn't that often), and just taking beta-blockers for the rest of the time. I hope it has the same effect on you!

I don't like taking a medication for the 1st time as I usually freak out, I hope after taking 2mg it doesn't give me a panic and I get the full effect of the benefits of it. If it doesn't then I'll just have to get hammered for my flight amd hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by medipk View Post
    Diazepam is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). It affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with anxiety. Diazepam is used to treat anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal symptoms, or muscle spasms. Diazepam is sometimes used with other medications to treat seizures. You can buy diazepam online from <admin removal of company name>
    Is ........ the right place
    To get diaZepam from or is the doctor/p doc?
    Idiot
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 22-04-17 at 12:55.

I got mines from my doctor, 12mg all in (6 tablets).

I just don't want to take it then freak out. I want to take it withouy a worry and relax in a high anxiety situation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    I got mines from my doctor, 12mg all in (6 tablets).

I just don't want to take it then freak out. I want to take it withouy a worry and relax in a high anxiety situation for me.
    I get mine from the docs too I got 10 5mg the other day and a few months ago I got 28 5mg, and 28 2mg. Don't worry about taking them mate. The way I can explain it is for a highly anxious person the diazepam allows your anxiety to go back to normal levels, with someone who's anxeity is not high it can then make them drowsy. So to sum it up the diazepam will level you out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information