Thread: Abdominal Pains

Abdominal Pains

Hi. I'm a male who nearly 6 weeks ago started to feel a dull ache in the left of my pelvic area, not far above the testicle. I thought it was something that would go so didn't think much of it for the first few days. However, as the week went on I realised that the pain intensified a bit when I was lying on my back.

A week and a half after I'd first felt that pain I experienced a day off bad pain all across my lower abdomen. I saw a pharmacist who suggested seeing a doctor so I made an appointment for that evening. I was thoroughly examined & the doctor didn't think it was anything sinister. Coincidentally I'd had blood tests done a couple of days before because I'd had increased hunger, I was peeing quite a bit during the night & I felt lethargic. The tests covered thyroid, liver function, prostate, glucose levels, cholesterol, renal & coeliac. The results had come back & the doctor told me they were clear. She also performed a digital prostate exam which was also clear. She tested for hernias too. She considered the pain may be muscular (although I hadn't done any exercise) or possibly IBS. She prescribed Mebeverine.

The bad, all over abdomen pains eased that evening but by a week later I was still getting constant lower left abdominal pain so I saw another doctor. He thoroughly examined me, suggested continuing with the Mebeverine for a week & referred me for an ultrasound.

A week on from that the pains were still present. Another doctor examined me & prescribed Omeprazole which didn't seem to have any effect, the pains now starting to feel as though they were moving around various places in my abdomen but still mostly lower left (in line with the bottom of my belly button) but also going across to my left hip with some intermittent pain down the front of my left leg with tender bottom ribs area on BOTH sides. The pains were worse when sitting at my desk at work & I'd experienced a feeling of weakness around my lower abdomen, pelvic area & tops of my legs. This doctor examined me & although suggesting it's nothing serious referred me for a colonoscopy, which he seemed to indicate he expected it to be clear but did say it might be a diverticular problem but he suggested not IBS as only symptom is pain. That doctor's appointment was Tuesday this week.

However, having been sitting at my desk for an hour or so yesterday the pain to the left of centre of my abdomen got worse & the Co Codamol I'd used a odd times since I'd first had the pain & had eased it, didn't seem to have any effect. I managed to get through the day but the pain continued into the evening forcing me to have an early night. My Wife said that if the pain was still bad this morning she'd take me to A&E.

After a good night's sleep the pain had eased so I took the day off work to rest it although the pain is still present on the left & I can feel a light ache lower right of the abdomen & I've made an appointment to see another doctor this afternoon for further advice & hopefully something to help when the pain is bad.

My ultrasound appointment is Monday week & I'm awaiting the colonoscopy appointment. However, I'm very concerned as to what this might be. Nearly 6 weeks since the first pelvic dull ache & 4 and a half weeks of abdominal pain of varying intensity but constant. I have no other noticeable symptoms - no noticeable weight loss, no diarrhoea, no nausea, etc.

I am a stressful person who tends to worry a lot & at the end of last year I had a couple of months of bad anxiety. Things have been getting back to normal this year though & I felt much happier & relaxed before this hit. Could it simply be anxiety or is it something more serious?

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Re: Abdominal Pains

I know whats its like to have bad HA anxiety... I freak out over every little pain or abnormal on my body. Anyway my example might help... About a month ago I had blood on my toilet paper and googled (LOL BIG MISTAKE!) Ofc all this crap about anal/colon C. So I went to see a doctor and she did a rectal exam and said she felt nothing growing in there so that gave me a piece of mind... but I still get random aches/pain in or around my rectum and in abdominal area which scares me alittle but everybody thinks i'm fine... they only last a few seconds but still its scary... My stools returned to normal but I still worry... my point is is that stress and anxiety will give you random pains and aches. I'm sure its nothing serious, but its good your getting further tests done. If I feel just alittle discomfort anywhere my mind will race about it and then it will get worse and i'll worry and it doesn't usually go away until I stop worrying about it... So try not to worry, i'm sure everythings ok. Might be something very minor and treatable.

Thread Information