Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy - sedation or not?

Colonoscopy - sedation or not?

Hi All

Just after a bit of advice, I am due a colonoscopy on Wednesday but I don't know whether to have sedation or not?

I am not particularly anxious about having the procedure itself.

Any thoughts?

Re: Colonoscopy - sedation or not?

Hi Kathryn
    I had a colonoscopy without sedation as I was told it wasn't necessary and there was quite a bit of discomfort.
    I would say if you can,have the sedation. If I was having one again I definitely would.
    Good luck

Hi Kathryn.

Some doctors automatically sedate you, like mine. Like aprilmoon said some say it is not necessary. Is this your first colonoscopy? Have you had any kind of sedation before?

I personally am glad that I was sedated. You just can't drive the rest of the day, and you have to rest.

Sorry to hijack Kathryn but I'd like to know about this too as it's looking likely I will be having a colonoscopy soon.
    I hear a lot of people have sedation, I have never been sedated and I don't know if I would want it as I have a fear of feeling 'out of control' , how does sedation feel? Is a colonoscopy reall that painful? I had a sigmoidoscopy a few years ago and it was fine, but I know colonoscopy is a longer procedure.

Hi Carrie
    I'd be lying if I said there wasn't considerable discomfort involved.I wouldn't have one again without sedation.
    I had sedation when I had a cataract op a couple of years ago and I was very nervous bit it was amazing.
    You don't feel out of control at all,just extremely relaxed,as though you couldn't care less about what's going on.

Yes to sedation. It's the best sleep ever

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie8484 View Post
    Sorry to hijack Kathryn but I'd like to know about this too as it's looking likely I will be having a colonoscopy soon.
    I hear a lot of people have sedation, I have never been sedated and I don't know if I would want it as I have a fear of feeling 'out of control' , how does sedation feel? Is a colonoscopy reall that painful? I had a sigmoidoscopy a few years ago and it was fine, but I know colonoscopy is a longer procedure.
    Have the sedation! No bad side effects and makes the whole thing easier.m

Just to be clear, if you have sedation, do you usually fall asleep? Or are you awake but just don't remember what has happened afterwards?

There are two types of sedation for colonoscopy. You can have propofol which puts you to sleep and you don't remember anything. You can have conscious sedation with an anti anxiety drug and sometimes an amnesiac drug. You would still feel it but might not remember it, you are awake but drugged. I would say to get propofol if you can. I had one last month. The procedure itself was a breeze. It was the anticipation leading up to it that was horrible for me.

Thanks all. My letter from the hospital says 'sedation is not routinely offered for this procedure but your doctor may request it'. Makes me feel like I shouldn't really ask for it! Which I know is daft as as a patient I should be able to make a decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information