Thread: ALS fear

ALS fear

Hello all im new to this super website and in need of some help. I have recently noticed my tongue twitches all over when i stick it out in the mirror. This worried me greatly because of what the internet says. I have since developed a choking sensation in my throat which lasts all day. I have seen my Dr. who tested the tongue and didnt feel it necessary to refer me to a neurologist. She believes although the tongue is twitching, whenever she applies pressure the tongue stops. I have a history of anxiety but as you all probably know it seems so frighteningly real. Any advice much appreciated.

Re: ALS fear

Hi

Have a look at this thread.

Elen

Hello Elen,

I can't see it?

Here ya go...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks guys, I'm trying to work on the anxiety side of this. My tongue twitches all over. But the doctor knows my fear and says it's not that. I feel so crippled with this fear. I look at the stats, I'm 31 I don't have slurred speech. But the symptoms I do share override anything I don't.

A Neurologist wont have you stick out your tongue during a exam to check for bulbar ALS, he will have you open your mouth and examine the tongue at rest.

ALS tongue twitches will only ever happen after significant atrophy has taken place. If you can stick your tongue out and side to side, you don't have atrophy. Tongue twitches are only prevalent if they occur at rest, everyone's tongue quivers when they stick it out, and it is due to muscle activation.

Thanks for the reassurance. I have now tried to do a patella reflex test on myself because my legs are arms jerking at times. I have restless leg syndrome already but now I'm worried it's hyperflexia. I forgot to mention this to my doctor who didn't complete the test. The reflex looks quick to me. This obsession is destroying my life...

Thread Information