Thread: Pros and Cons to taking Lexapro

Pros and Cons to taking Lexapro

So yesterday I went to my doctors appointment and discussed the anxiety that I suffer from, mainly social anxiety and she recommended taking Lexapro to help ease off the tension that I get from my anxiety especially when I'm out in public but because of my anxiety, I'm afraid to even take it. I keep going over the pros and cons of how it can help and how it can effect me.

Because I have nobody else to turn to about it, I hoping someone can help ease my mind or warn me. Idk.

Everyone that I usually talk to about this, they don't really help me because they don't understand what's going through my mind especially when you've dealt with living in the shadows for so long and now all you want is to burst out and be known.

I'm afraid this medicine is going to make me feel more crazier than I feel right now. I'm scared of what it'll do to me.

Anyways, I hope someone can help me feel less anxious about taking this medication.

Re: Pros and Cons to taking Lexapro

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplegoddess View Post
    I'm afraid this medicine is going to make me feel more crazier than I feel right now. I'm scared of what it'll do to me.
    Despite what you may have read online, it is unlikely to make you "crazier than I feel right now."

The first thing to know about antidepressants is that they have no direct effect on anxiety, or depression in the way say aspirin has on a headache. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds per se. They just return the brain to something like its pre anxious/depressed state.

Side-effects can be an issue for some, repeat some, they are by no means a certainty. Most people experience only mild symptoms at worst. They are even less likely with Lexapro (escitalopram) and the related Celexa (citalopram) which generally have the best SSRI side-effects profiles.

Starting on a low dose, no more than 5mg for Lexapro, and ramping it up by the same amount after a week will lessen any side-effects further. If you doctor has prescribed a higher starting dose ask if you can start on less.

Antidepressants can sometimes be a pain in the butt, especially at the beginning, but when they work they can make a dramatic difference to quality of life. They've been keeping me anxiety free for over 30 years.

hey, the same thing happened to me when i was told i had to start lexapro. it took me months to go ahead and take what i needed to take. i kept thinking id go crazy on it, that itd change my personality, that id have crazy side effects, etc etc etc. i was so scared to take it that i cried after taking my first pill and had to stay with my mom. looking back, i cant believe i was soooo afraid.

pros: lessens anxiety and makes it more controllable. it made my anxiety manageable without removing it totally or changing my personality. it also isnt permanent, if u decide u dont feel good on it, youll go off it and change meds. i also didnt really have any bad side effects on it. and if you do, those are also super temporary.
    cons: it does make me kind of sleepy, sometimes i have vivid dreams, but thats about it. nothing else. it works great.

start off on 5 or 10 mg if ur worried. work up gradually in 5mg increments.

you'll be fine. ive been taking it for about 8 months now and even though im not all the way cured, im doing and feeling a lot better than i was before. its worth a shot

Lexapro is brilliant for anxiety it gives you the attitude of not caring but in a good way. It basically removes the anxious feelings and dread which is great!

Pros for me : more happier, no anxiety
    Cons for me : no libido (it's like someone robbed it and I can't find it anywhere) scary!

Pros for me: happier, less likely to dwell on anxious or negative thoughts, more energy
    Cons: a craving for potato chips the first 6 mos on it

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.
    I took it for 5 years - great stuff.
    I started on 5 mg for 2 weeks then went up to 10mg where I stayed for the 5 yrs

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information