Thread: Panic attack today

Panic attack today

I had a panic attack while at work today- it was so horrible- I all of a sudden got the feeling I might get dizzy and then I started panicking that I might pass out and then I started worrying about my heart- I ended up going home- I have rested some but I am still a little worried because I have tingling in both my hands- has anyone experienced this tingling hours after a panic attack?

Re: Panic attack today

When your body is coming down from a panic attack...or extreme fear, it will react in lots of ways because fear of something out to get you, whether real or imagined, can change the normal workings of your body...every part of it. It affects your nervous system, digestive system, bowels and bladder, heartrate and breathing, muscles, ears and eyes. Your body is getting ready to stand and fight or run...known as 'fight or flight' commonly. You got the urge to run so you ran.

It takes time to come down from that so you will feel random symptoms all over including twitching muscles and nerves, weakness or lightheadedness etc. If you continue in the loop of fearing the next attack your body will be in a state of high alert, and then the panics are triggered much quicker and more often. Try to get out of the loop and find ways to calm down. Deep breathing exercises can help.

But the most help is to know you don't have anything sinister going on no matter how bad it feels.

ISB ☺

Yes- I guess so even though the panic attack happened at 10am it's notrmal to have tingling now? It kind of comes and goes. I went to the ER in January after a panic attack because I thought it was a heart attack- all of my tests came back ok however my ekg they said was abnormal but then a cardiology looked at it and said it was normal- so I guess I am having this nagging fear that something is wrong with my heart and they just missed it......but then I think well I am not having any chest pain or shortness of breath or anything like that so it can't be a heart attack but then this damn tingling started and it's in both hands, not even in my arms, just my hands- it's really weird

But you haven't really recovered from it have you. You keep worrying about it so you're keeping the fear going just under the surface. Where there is fear and anxiety there will be symptoms. By the way, a panic attack is not a heart attack. If it was, that would be two heart attacks you've had already.

ISB ☺

That's true- and now the tingling has gone away......anxiety must do some crazy stuff to the body

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Also thank you for responding to my posts- I really have no one I can talk to about this- my husband gets mad at me and doesn't understand my anxiety

No problem. I've been there and know how it feels. My children grew up with my panics as part of their childhood. For women, hormones play a big part too. As I've got older...i'm a grandmother now...the fear has disappeared. I'm very claustrophobic though and sometimes this can catch me out resulting in a bit of a mini panic. But I've learned over the years how to cope. You'll be fine.

Best wishes
    ISB ☺ x

Thread Information