Thread: .5MG of Clonazapam does nothing for me

.5MG of Clonazapam does nothing for me

Does anyone else have this issue? I switched over for xanax, which was wearing off too fast. I'm currently prescribed Clonazapam .5 3 times a day with celexa. It really doesn't do anything. I think i start to feel calmer after the third dosing of clonazam. Does anyone else have this issue? I had to take a xanax today on top of clonazapam, since it wasn't working!

Re: .5MG of Clonazapam does nothing for me

I swear, Clonazapam never did a thing for me. Ativan works wonderfully, though. Never had Xanax.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    Does anyone else have this issue? I switched over for xanax, which was wearing off too fast. I'm currently prescribed Clonazapam .5 3 times a day with celexa. It really doesn't do anything.
    Some don't get much apparent response from clonazepam for some reason. I suspect this might be more a perception than a reality, especially when coming from a fast acting benzodiazepine like Xanax which can give more of a buzz whereas clonazepam tends to become active more slowly. This is especially so in those that are slow absorbers (most absorb it quickly with plasma levels generally peaking after 1-2 hours, but it can take as long as 8 hours for a few).

PS: forgot to ask how much Xanax your were taking?
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 06-04-17 at 07:28. Reason: added PS

Hi Panic down under,

I was taking .5 of Xanax two- three times daily (it's been a few months now)--- I've been trying different SSRI's during this whole time.

Now that you mention it, I start to feel calmer at the end of the day after three .5 doses of clonazepam. Maybe it does take 8 hours for me to feel anything. Is that what you mean??

I was taking .5 of Xanax two- three times daily (it's been a few months now)
    Benzodiazepine equivalence isn't an exact science, but 0.5mg Xanax is about twice as strong as 0.5mg clonazepam so this probably mostly explains why you're not getting as good a response from the clonazepam.

Now that you mention it, I start to feel calmer at the end of the day after three .5 doses of clonazepam. Maybe it does take 8 hours for me to feel anything. Is that what you mean??
    If you're a slow absorber then yes, it could be causing this, however, this is only be a short-term factor until the clonazepam builds up in your system. The bigger issue is likely to be the effective halving of the dose compared to Xanax.

Hi Ethansmom, I was just wondering if this is the first time you have been treated with anti depressants for anxiety or if you have relapsed after an earlier struggle with anxiety. Hope you are doing okay. Tracy xx

No this isn't the first time I've been treated with antidepressants and benzos. I went through a rough struggle last year which was such trial-and-error with medication. Now Ive relapsed and am in a much worse state. The doctor has upped my Celexa to 30 milligrams and has told me to try clonazepam 1 milligram in the morning and .5 in the evening to see if that helps. If not I am switching back over to Xanax. The problem with Xanax is it wears off very quickly for me now. I also got conflicting messages from two different psychiatrist in the past month. One said I could take Xanax with clonazepam if I was having a panic attack and the other said I shouldn't mix them. She said it wasn't a good idea is that because I could possibly overdose? Now I'm even more paranoid.

One said I could take Xanax with clonazepam if I was having a panic attack and the other said I shouldn't mix them. She said it wasn't a good idea is that because I could possibly overdose? Now I'm even more paranoid.
    Taking 0.5mg Xanax on top of even 1mg clonazepam isn't going to cause any harm, except maybe by making you a little more susceptible to accidents. Both doses are well below the recommended maximums and there are no synergy issues.

However, taking Xanax after a panic attack is underway probably won't do much for it as it takes 20-30 minutes to enter the bloodstream and an hour or two for blood levels to peak by which time the attack is almost always long over. They rarely lasts longer than 10 minutes. But it may help with the post attack increase in anxiety.

last night I had a panic attack while at a restaurant and I ended up taking a Xanax. I felt defeated, but it's what I had to do. Right now i'm trying the 1MG of Clonazapam in the morning and .5 (before it wears off in the evening). My doctor said to try that combination and if it doesn't work to go back to Xanax three times a day. It is okay to just switch back to Xanax the next day instead of clonazepam? I worry about seizures! I've been taking clonazepam since I was in a hospital program (so about 6 weeks). before that, I was only taking Xanax. I'm so mentally ill and cannot wait to feel better.

So far the clonazepam just makes me sleep and puts my in a tired state. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. Should I expect increased anxiety from upping my dose of Celexa from 20MG to 30MG? When does the increased anxiety usually show up?? Can you tell i'm a nervous wreck?

It is okay to just switch back to Xanax the next day instead of clonazepam? I worry about seizures!
    The Xanax should prevent seizures.

Should I expect increased anxiety from upping my dose of Celexa from 20MG to 30MG?
    It is possible, but by no means a certainty. It usually isn't as severe as at the beginning.

When does the increased anxiety usually show up??
    Anywhere from within an hour of the first dose to several days to never.

Thread Information