Thread: Panic attacks since the death of my mother

Panic attacks since the death of my mother

My mother died almost a month ago from colon cancer. She went very fast (four months since diagnosis) she was stage three no metastasis, she was doing fine over Christmas, in January started radiotherapy, she had to stop treatment because she developed back pain, everything went down hill after that, and she died the 14th of March. It was a chock to all the family, we weren't prepared, we though once the pain was controlled by palliative care team, she would have quality time for us and for her to enjoy a little while more but her heart gave up.
    After her death I tried to understand that there was no way out, I was living in hope, I wanted to be strong for her I kept hoping that she would be fine.
    Gradually I started feeling my heart racing and feeling edgy and panicky.
    It reminds me of when I used to suffered them 20 years ago. I was over them and controlled them very well, my anxiety was well controlled and I was living a happy life. The panic and anxiety will visit me now and again but I always managed to overcome them.

Has anybody experienced them again after the lost of a loved one. How did you cope with them?

Thank you for reading my post.

Re: Panic attacks since the death of my mother

Quote Originally Posted by star68 View Post
    My mother died almost a month ago from colon cancer. She went very fast (four months since diagnosis) she was stage three no metastasis, she was doing fine over Christmas, in January started radiotherapy, she had to stop treatment because she developed back pain, everything went down hill after that, and she died the 14th of March. It was a chock to all the family, we weren't prepared, we though once the pain was controlled by palliative care team, she would have quality time for us and for her to enjoy a little while more but her heart gave up.

After her death I tried to understand that there was no way out, I was living in hope, I wanted to be strong for her I kept hoping that she would be fine.

Gradually I started feeling my heart racing and feeling edgy and panicky.

It reminds me of when I used to suffered them 20 years ago. I was over them and controlled them very well, my anxiety was well controlled and I was living a happy life. The panic and anxiety will visit me now and again but I always managed to overcome them.

Has anybody experienced them again after the lost of a loved one. How did you cope with them?

Thank you for reading my post.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of hugs. I have not lost a parent so cannot give advice, but I have heard from others I know who have that it does get easier. One friend said that the pain of remembering your lost one eventually turns into warmth, because even though they are gone, you will see them all around you - reflected in yourself and your life because of the impact they had on the person you are. You'll overcome your panic attacks just like you did last time around, you will get better and get through this. Have you thought about joining a grief therapy group or something? X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information