Thread: Neulactil/pericyazine vs Olanzapine

Neulactil/pericyazine vs Olanzapine

In discussions with my psych we talked about changing from Olanzapine to Neulactil. I currently take 3.75mg Olanzapine at night, but am thinking of changing to Neulactil. I have taken Neulactil when I was in hospital, but then got changed back to Olanzapine. It is really hard to find any information on it. Does anyone else take Neulactil or know much about it and if it would be worth changing over from Olanzapine. My main issue with olanzapine is weight gain. Is Neulactil more sedating than Olanzapine? Thanks in advance. Tracy

Re: Neulactil/pericyazine vs Olanzapine

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
    In discussions with my psych we talked about changing from Olanzapine to Neulactil.
    I hope this will be after you're off clonazepam. It's never a good idea to make changes to 2 meds at the same time.

My main issue with olanzapine is weight gain. Is Neulactil more sedating than Olanzapine?
    Pericyazine (Neulactil) can cause both weight gain and sedation. Whether it will be better, or worse than olanzapine for you is unknowable except by trying it.

I think the more important issue is getting the antidepressant to work.

Hi Mermaid16, just wondering - did you end up changing from Olanzapine to Neulactil? I am also contemplating the same change. If you changed, did you go through withdrawals? Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
    In discussions with my psych we talked about changing from Olanzapine to Neulactil. I currently take 3.75mg Olanzapine at night, but am thinking of changing to Neulactil. I have taken Neulactil when I was in hospital, but then got changed back to Olanzapine. It is really hard to find any information on it. Does anyone else take Neulactil or know much about it and if it would be worth changing over from Olanzapine. My main issue with olanzapine is weight gain. Is Neulactil more sedating than Olanzapine? Thanks in advance. Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by nicjk View Post
    Hi Mermaid16, just wondering - did you end up changing from Olanzapine to Neulactil?
    to No More Panic,

Tracy (Mermaid16) last logged in back in Oct 2019 so probably won't see your post.

I am also contemplating the same change. If you changed, did you go through withdrawals? Thanks a lot!
    What are you taking olanzapine (Zyprexa) for and why do you want to switch to periciazine (Neulactil)?

Switching from olanzapine to periciazine can be done either overnight if the olanzapine dose is <=10mg, or by a short cross taper for higher doses. In both cases any withdrawal symptoms are usually mild and short lived.

Thread Information