Thread: Agoraphobia, PIP and ESA

Agoraphobia, PIP and ESA

Hello all, I've been agoraphobic for years but managed to get by at home with the kids until recently when my coping mechanisms just failed and my partner has been off work for the past two months (on sick leave himself for stress) because I'm incapable of functioning without his support at the moment and we have three children to look after. When he is home I am reasonably well, but I struggle whenever I am alone, in the past two months he's left me for three brief periods (5mins ish)and I've been a panicky mess for the whole time. I can't really fathom getting well enough to enable him to go back to work and I am researching possible benefits we might be able to get which might allow me some respite from the hell the recent past has been.

So, I am applying for ESA and PIP, in the hope that if I am successful this will be a huge support for my family (when my partner is in work I spend about £50 per week on taxi fares just taking my kids to and from school, and it's only around the corner ). I have read the descriptors for both though, and it seems that as I am able to go out accompanied and do not suffer from social phobia, I would be deemed able to work and unable to get PIP. This bewilders me, I am certainly not able to work, I would love to be, but I am not. Am I unlikely to qualify for benefits because of this do you think? If I do manage to qualify for benefits, would my partner be able to claim carer's allowance for me?

If there are any others out there in a similar situation I'd be thrilled to hear from you, this feels horrible and I'm putting my family through so much I feel awful. I would be so grateful to hear any relevant stories (or even irrelevant ones if anyone feels like sharing), just so I can prepare myself for what the future might hold for us. Thanks for listening

Re: Agoraphobia, PIP and ESA

Hi BoxOfFrogs While I dont have this condition I understand how hard it must be for you.
    And on top of this the stupid system and the way the DWP works puzzles me beyond belief What help have you had off your dr? Do you have any family near you that could take the kids to school for you or next door neighbours etc? I Just hope you can start to get better and get your life back on track, we all have hurdles that we have to get try and get over ATB

Thanks for your kind comments, Bigboyuk I really appreciate it. I've put off getting help for so many years for fear of being laughed at or patronised but I realise what a ridiculous error that was, I've met so many lovely people who have really put a lot of effort into my recovery. I feel genuinely touched by how much help I've been offered and the kindness shown to me by strangers. If I ever get well enough I want to work for Mind and spread the support about a bit more.

I have been placed on medication (citalopram), I'm awaiting referral for counselling and I'm doing a CCI on panic at my local Mind centre, with all sorts of other courses in the pipeline. I'm having a go at everything in the hope that something sticks. I have support from my GP, who is great, and am feeling optimistic that things will get a least a little better in the long term, but I am totally dependent on my partner to get by at the moment. What I need most is practical help about what to do next, what we can do financially etc. but unfortunately we have to wait until 25th April before we can see a benefit advisor at the CAB. Do you know of anywhere I could get that advice over the phone?

Thanks again, and I wish you every success with whatever your particular hurdles are

Quote Originally Posted by BoxOfFrogs View Post
    Thanks for your kind comments, Bigboyuk I really appreciate it. I've put off getting help for so many years for fear of being laughed at or patronised but I realise what a ridiculous error that was, I've met so many lovely people who have really put a lot of effort into my recovery. I feel genuinely touched by how much help I've been offered and the kindness shown to me by strangers. If I ever get well enough I want to work for Mind and spread the support about a bit more.

I have been placed on medication (citalopram), I'm awaiting referral for counselling and I'm doing a CCI on panic at my local Mind centre, with all sorts of other courses in the pipeline. I'm having a go at everything in the hope that something sticks. I have support from my GP, who is great, and am feeling optimistic that things will get a least a little better in the long term, but I am totally dependent on my partner to get by at the moment. What I need most is practical help about what to do next, what we can do financially etc. but unfortunately we have to wait until 25th April before we can see a benefit advisor at the CAB. Do you know of anywhere I could get that advice over the phone?

Thanks again, and I wish you every success with whatever your particular hurdles are
    HI again Sorry for not getting back to you but was very tired last night. I think the thing is you actually have quite a good support network and yes you did make errors, we all do from time to time, Embrace your support network with both hands! The fact you are having a go at everything is very positive to me so well done Hmm it's a little time to wait for the CAB advisor, In the mean time talk to the DSS think it's just SS now haven't signed on for some years now, and ask to speak to a DRO/DA
    again not sure as the name has changed on that too But both mean the same thing. Disablement Ressetlement Officer or the Disability Advisor and get on their books That's the only thing I can think off but actually seeing as you are on the system it makes sense as they all work for the Social Security Really wish you well on this Let us know how you get on! Cheers

Thread Information