Thread: Blood in saliva after waking up

Blood in saliva after waking up

When I woke up this morning there was some blood mixed in with my saliva. I have had this happen before...not often at all...in fact, I can't remember the last time it happened. Anyway, logically I know there are benign reasons why this can occur. I've had a head cold for the past couple of weeks. I have post nasal drip year round. Blah blah blah. I checked my mouth for cuts, etc., nothing there. I've been forcing myself to cough to see if anything bloody comes up, but nothing does. Then I googled...read all the benign reasons for this...then skimmed the scary possibilities...but stopped myself. Still, my stomach is churning now and I'm nervous. Anyone else have this happen?

Re: Blood in saliva after waking up

Hi Chris I recently put up a thread which pretty much had the same title as yours I too was waking up every morning with blood in saliva I thought it was coming from the chest area but it was coming from the back of the nose due to a post nasal drip and I'm pretty sure it was either caused by constant dry air or from dust which was bursting the blood vessels. Instead of spitting first thing in the morning try blowing your nose if you see any blood than its pretty much coming from that area which is a very sensitive area. Try not to worry about it it will pass mine went on for months on end

Post nasal drip is likely, as saf said. So you have any bleeding after brushing your teeth? Do you clinch and/or grind your teeth?

Have you tried sleeping with a humidifier? If your sinuses are dry there could be a little bit of bleeding. Have you seen a doctor for the post nasal drip? A year is a long time for something like that. Glad you stopped looking up Dr. Google, it won't do you any good.

Thread Information