Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear when Driving

Question Fear when Driving

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me, I have a problem with driving I have looked and read all the post’s on this problem and it’s good to know that I am not alone in this. But in all the post’s I have read I can’t seem to find one that relates to my situation. So maybe I should explain.

I had my first ever panic attack when driving I was stuck in traffic on a very hot day and for some reason just lost the plot LOL, well after this I did drive for some time but my panic just got worse to the point 6 months later I become agoraphobic and did not leave the house for18 months so I lost my job and my car. Things slowly got better and we moved away (best thing we ever did) I got a very good job and life in general I fantastic I go out more (to a point) and all I seem to have is the symptom’s of panic never builds into a full blown attack.

My partner bought me a really nice car and when he is with me I am fine even if some one else is in the car I am ok and could drive all day long even on motorways, I can drive about 5 mins from the house when I am on my own and that’s about it on good days could drive further but never all the way to work but I now have to drive on my own to work and as my symptoms seem to be at there highest in the morning I am starting to feel a bit on edge. When I drive I sometimes get a feeling of derealisation and this starts me panicking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So for the long post

Thanks Sam X

Re: Fear when Driving

Hi, sam, check out nicola,s post from last week.under MR PANIC IS AFTER ME AGAIN-HE WON,T WIN. print like have and keep reading it, it will helpyou i,m sure.

Sam, it,s on page 9, just to save you time.

Thanks hun will take a look, need a mirecal cure cos i will be driving on my own in the morning (ohmy god)

Sam x

Sam you will do it , do,nt let this monster beat you.

Hi there..
    I hit the invisable brick wall at roughly 1 mile from my house...
    Who knows whats beyond that mile..lol!!!
    Like yourself i can drive all i like (only with my mother though). I've driven motorways with her, but as soon as i get in the car alone, i poop it.

Sarah

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hi Sam

Your not on your own with the driving issues, im having confidence building driving lessons at the moment, i couldnt drive to the top of the street without panic while on my own, i feel like my confidence is growing now.

Heres Nics post that Rickards mentioned, Nic is the the queen of driving she as done so well with overcomeing the fear.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19496

Here is Nics CBT Therapy for Driving Diary too, im sure she wont mind me giving you the link.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7162

Hugs

Andrea
    xxxxx

Thanks so much for all your help in this matter. I have been reading Nic’s posts and it is all very good advice.

I have been visually going through my drive to work in my mind making sure that it is all positive; I will post Monday evening to let you all know how I got on.

Please wish me luck and send out those positive thoughts at about 7.45am tomorrow morning LOL as that is the time I will be Sh**ing my self LOL

Sam X

Hi Sam

Glad you found the links useful, keep thinking positive and you will be fine!

Sending good luck your way and positive vibes too!

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

Hi Sam

Glad my post helped.

I know how hard it is when you have driving issues but you can do this ok - keep calm and take it slowly.

Good luck!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information