Thread: Heart OCD?

Heart OCD?

I don't know why I can stop fearing palpitations. I am waiting on my event monitor results-- it's been about a week since I've turned it in. I expect to hear something any day now. I had a bad attack of PVC's (for a few minutes at dinner last Friday), and now i'm obsessing over it again. I had wished I had my monitor on during that time! But, I did catch an episode or two while on the monitor. I'm debating on whether or not I should email my doctor to see if the results are in yet. I'm pretty sure i'll get an email from her once she has them. I feel sick with worry :(

I'm also anxious about seeing family on Easter. I'm afraid I'll get another attack of palpitations and this time they won't go away. Xanax helped take them away at the restaurant.

I've also increased my Celexa so i'm anxious from that too :(
    Thanks for listening!

Re: Heart OCD?

Your anxiety about your heart is definately spiralling as you are posting the same information numerous times. I don't think you can call it OCD, that's a totally different condition. You have an intense fear of heart disease because your heart skips beats alot. Mine does too, but the beta blockers I take seem to ease the intensity of them.

Losing the fear of them helps to reduce their impact, but we have been telling you this for quite some time now. Not sure what else to say to you sorry, except keep taking the meds If they're helping.

ISB ☺

I'm sorry I keep posting, but I need support. My husband is so fed up with me

I had another bout of heart flutters yesterday and I was rushing around in the bathroom on my way to therapy. Why or why do I keep getting these? I just wish they would go away! I want my doctor to email me my monitor results (from the 30 day monitor) to know everything is okay. They really scare me and are ruining my life. I would like to wake up one day and NOT think about heart fluttering and dropping dead from an arrhythmia. I guess the more I fear them, the more I research them, the more of them I'll get???

I need to keep a journal stating all the facts.
    - I have had these before and nothing has happened (Thankfully)
    -My echo was totally normal
    -My 24 holtor results were normal--just waiting on the 30 day one where I actually felt the flutters
    -Blood tests are all normal
    - I have anxiety and panic disorder, which makes them worse.
    -I'm obsessing over them, so am getting them frequently.

I know you're on meds and have had therapy. I don't know what to say to help other than I just hope you find a way to make peace with what is apparently a benign issue associated with your anxiety.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

If you're taking meds that aren't controlling these palpitations and flutters, can you not ask about increasing the dose or taking another medication? Have you ever tried beta blockers for this? They have worked really well for my palpitations. They might be worth trying.

I do remember how scary these palps are, at their worst they almost brought me to my knees but haven't been so bad for a very long time. In fact I had a 5 day run of them just over a week ago happening from morning til evening, but I just took an extra beta blocker and that eased them loads.

Also, if the docs thought you were in any danger of collapsing with true arrhythmia or any kind of heart problem, I doubt they would make you wait 30 days before giving out the holter monitor results.

ISB x

Thread Information