Thread: Help - Palpitations

Help - Palpitations

Hi everyone,

Around 18 months ago I started experiencing palpitations - the sensation of my heart flipping/skipping a beat, this was just the odd one or two daily. I saw my GP who referred me to a cardiologist who ran:

1. 24 hour Holter monitor
    2. 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor
    3. Transthoracic echocardiogram

All returned normal with the exception of 35 isolated benign supraventricular ectopic beats.
    A good few months later, I had prolonged episode (2 or 3 in a row) while watching TV. So I went back to the Cardiologist who again performed another 24 hour Holter monitor - this came back with 5 isolated benign supraventricular ectopic beats this time and the Cardiologist reassured me that I have nothing to worry about and discharged me.

However, my palpitations are getting worse and I'm extremely concerned. My palpitations seem to be becoming more and more frequent; whilst visiting friends a couple of weekends ago, (after a long day and two glasses of wine), the thumps were happening every 3-5 minutes or so until I drank some water. The following day, whilst on a short walk, they were again happening every few minutes or so and again while at the cinema - they sometimes calm down but then start again. Each episode didn’t appear to last more than an hour and appeared to be single runs.

The other new symptom I have discovered; is that my pulse sometimes appears irregular; if I press with my index finger I can sometimes feel irregular beats(without thumps), however, this is not always the case, my pulse is regular, this appears very intermittent. I also sometimes experience the palpitation thumps when exercising (running) or walking fast but not always. For example, I urgently required to pass a stool, thus I rush up a flight of stairs and upon immediately sitting down on the toilet, I got a run of strong skipped beats (not thumps) for 5 seconds or so - I have noticed this twice when needing to pass a stool and rushing for a toilet. My HR was around 120 just to the rush to get to the toilet (Apple Watch).

Then yesterday, out of the blue, I started getting them again every couple of minutes or so, this was at the end of a stress free day and I was getting ready to head home from the office. I got home and decided to go to A&E as they persisted, they did calm down but A&E was able to see the odd one on the ECG. They ran an ECG, blood work and said they were fine and nothing to worry about. I have been getting them throughout today (firstly after a shower and again just after lunch), just popping off every few minutes then stopping for hours. A&E told me not to visit the Cardiologist, but they only really care if it's critical I guess (and want the bed back ASAP).

I know my Cardiologist told me that I have a healthy heart and do not need a cardiologist however, I feel that my symptoms are becoming more frequent and it's impacting my quality life as the anxiety is crippling, I just want them to stop. My GP has offered me a Beta Blocker, but I'm not sure as I've read that the side affects are not present and they can cause even more problems.I don't get any other symptoms with them however, with the multiple episodes, I feel very slightly light headed, but not sure if this relates to the immediate adrenalin and or worry.

Do you think it's worth seeing my Cardiologist again?
    What's the different between what I'm experiencing and A-Fib?
    Were the run of palpitations actually A-fib and not SVE's?
    What exactly are benign supraventricular ectopic beats?
    What's the difference between supraventricular and ventricular beats?

I've dramatically reduced my caffeine in-take, upped my supplements inc fish oils, tried magnesium, changed my diet but nothing seems to stop them. 18 months ago, this was non-existent. I feel like a fool keep rushing to A&E, the DR's and my Cardiologist.

It's such a horrible feeling when they happen. I understand that I have an element of anxiety, I've learnt to deal with the old thumb, but the multiple SVE's and runs just un-do all the hard work in an instant.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Help - Palpitations

I understand how horrible you feel. If you read my posts, I've been complaining about the same thing for the past few months. I also had a run of palps when rushing to the toilet yesterday! I feel like any little thing will set them off. I'm not sure if I have any real advice for you, but wanted to let you know I am going through the EXACT same thing.

Do you take anxiety medication? are you under a lot of stress right now?

Re: Help - Palpitations

I know what we are all going through. Today was a bad day for PVCs for some reason. I was moving some couches in my place and got PVCs for a good 5 minutes, uncomfortable feeling in the chest and not well.

Like all I had all the tests, holter, echo, stress test (another stress test in May) blood work. Nothing abnormal except a short PR interval.

Maybe related to pizza I had or something but very strange.

All my doctors also say "benign" sure does not feel that way!

Thread Information