Thread: Constant worry about heart rate (Apple Watch doesn't help)

Constant worry about heart rate (Apple Watch doesn't help)

So I've been struggling with numerous anxiety disorders all my life. I managed to overcome a severe panic disorder and agoraphobia, but my major health anxiety never went away. Mainly because I'm one of those unlucky souls who spent her life being worried about 'something bad happening'...and then it did. Around 25 a rare, formerly undiagnosed genetic disorder manifested itself and I lost my ability to walk. I lost it completely of course and went off the rails for 7 years psychologically. My disorder 'only' affects my arms and my legs not the rest of my body, thank God. But I've lost all trust in my body and am always waiting for the next bad thing to happen. Because it did and I will never feel safe again.

I knew that with all my anxiety issues my heart was bound to become an obsession one day. And so it did. About 6 months ago I had my first palpitation. Nothing major and I've since realised that it only ever happens during the week of my period. Which is not unusual and a hormonal thing apparently. But I went on Google (I know...) and came across that study saying that people with a heart rate over 80 would die 25 years earlier than others. And I am wearing an Apple Watch which conveniently constantly records my heart rate. And it's almost constantly over 80. It hardly ever gets above 88 and only over 100 when I exercise. But I am now obsessed with that number 80. Although anything between 60 and 100 could be normal apparently.

So here I am. Constantly focusing on my heartbeat. Feeling it everywhere. Feeling it go up when I've eaten or after drinking alcohol. Looking at my watch and seeing that number over 80 again. And bursting into tears because I've convinced myself that this means my days are numbered. I try to exercise as much as I can, but as a wheelchair user exercising enough to get your resting heart rate down seems impossible. I'm not feeling dizzy or sick but I worry constantly. And my Apple Watch records support that worry.

How do I let go of this unhealthy obsession?

Re: Constant worry about heart rate (Apple Watch doesn't help)

Get rid of the watch. I was and at still am a pulse watcher. Pulse rates differ from person to person. Also, when I was watching mine all the time I was always in the mid to high 80's. When I checked it once a month in the 60s go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jdheart View Post
    Get rid of the watch.
    Maybe not the watch (they're expensive) but the app?... YES... delete the app! NOW!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Oh boy I just checked. Even read some support forums. You can't remove the app from the phone or unpair it from the watch. Every hypochondriac's nightmare . Alas, I enjoy using my app for other things, so I just need to work on my impulse to check. I did kind of get over the habit for a while and the values seemed to stabilise somewhere in the mid-high 70s, so maybe I can get myself back there.

Yea they are expensive. Dont overthink it to much. Look at it like this. Your heart beating at 88 beats per minute is nothing to worry about. Just do the math of athletes and others over a life time there heart even thou different has beating more beats than yours has at this point. Good Luck your fine.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

I was think this would make a good movie your Apple watch tells you how many beats you have in a lifetime. Now that would be crazy. Knowing me I would knock out most of them in the first year. Then the last 10000 would take longer because I would not want to die. or who knows maybe reverse. Think about it...Your fine...

Ha, now that'd be an interesting concept. Just having a certain amount of steps left! Would indeed make a cool movie.

I think my problem is that I'm doing quite ok health-wise at the moment, so my brain is desperately looking for something to worry about. And the heart is an ideal candidate as an anxious mind can get the heart rate up in seconds. It's really really tragic isn't it? Anxiety becoming a bit of a habit.

What really freaks me out is that my 90 year old grandpa has the exact same problem. He's incredibly healthy for his age but after losing grandma last year he's developed a bit of a pulse obsessions. He measures it every five minutes and of course it keeps going up. So he's off to the doctor, has tests done and his heart is completely fine. Anxiety seems to run in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lushchicken View Post
    But I went on Google (I know...) and came across that study saying that people with a heart rate over 80 would die 25 years earlier than others.
    Hmmm... if the difference really was that dramatic then surely everyone would have noticed sooner than now, so I have a suspicion that some news agency badly mangled a scientific paper yet again.

Also, the average resting heart rate for women was given as 78 beat-per-minute for a long time, and possibly still is. Nearly half of all women will have resting heart rates over 80 BPM.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by Aaahhfreakout; 18-04-17 at 14:35.

Thread Information