Thread: Confronting ones nightmare

Confronting ones nightmare

How effective have people found confronting THEIR fear.

I have a completely irrational fear of heights. Something as silly as a flight of stairs (in an office, not house type) can have me wobbling at the knees.

Would exposure on a grand scale Eiffel tower for instance help??
    Or would a more gentle frequent exposure help?

Amazing to think that 10 years ago I was happy to be 300 ft off the ground rigging communications dishes for BT.

Re: Confronting ones nightmare

Hi there,

Firstly I would like to say that your phobia is NOT silly, please don't think this. Sencond, congrats on knowing that your fear is irrational NOT a rational fear, thats great, WELL DONE. I know its hard, changing the way we think. BUT, it can be done, with alot of hard work, time and support.

I have some phobias, it was only when I found this site I thought I would challege them. I too have a fear of hights, I must say though, not as bad a you. I can climb some stair cases, but depending on what type, if you know what I mean.

I would say that exposure works, it depends on the person, if you wish to try the Eiffel tower go right ahead, I did, hay and I'm still here to tell the tale. Felt really sick, but NO panic. Great veiw from the top.

I would say that more gentle freqent exposure would be best, I am a true believer that small steps work, little and often.

Have a good hard think about why you fear hights, just what is going on in your mind that triggers your fear, all the what if's.

Challenge your thoughts, learn how to reasure yourself. Its takes alot of hard work and time but it does work.

It is amazing that your job 10 years ago was working with hights, oh my goodness, you have done it before and you can do it again, you must believe this and work on that, small steps, bit at a time, don't be to hard on yourself, remember there is NO fail on this, you just keep trying and one day you WILL get there.

I would say ,to work on your thoughts even before you try to climb any hights, think what you are going to think, if you know what I mean.

Good luck, still working on mine, I am fine now with some hights, I have been working on my fear of dogs, ohh boy, very hard.

You take care

LOVE JILLXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by up a ladder View Post
    I have a completely irrational fear of heights. Something as silly as a flight of stairs (in an office, not house type) can have me wobbling at the knees.

Would exposure on a grand scale Eiffel tower for instance help??
    Or would a more gentle frequent exposure help?
    You're certainly not on your own with this one, as I have quite a fear of heights, especially standing on top really really tall things and I think you'll find my reason of being scared of heights to be silly, not yours, because I always feel as though I'm going to loose gravity and fall into the sky when I'm in high open spaces.

For exposer, it's best no to try not and start on something too high as that will feel a bit too frightening, but start on something gentler that's sort of high. Then take little steps and work your way up, although I have to say jill's advice seems very helpful too and the fact she said "Challenge your thoughts" feels as though that will be a big help when ever I have to face a high place again, and I'm sure it will be the same for you two.

I'll wish you good luck if you do try the Eiffel Tower though.

Quote Originally Posted by up a ladder View Post
    How effective have people found confronting THEIR fear.

Some fears I try to confront have seem worth it and work effectively like the time when I managed to take myself to a shop, and maybe I was a bit phobic at first but I was then starting to smile and feel pleased for it, and the smile gradually increased when I managed to by a computer game from the GAME shop.

Sometimes it hasn't been quite effective when going to distant places with my family or other poeple and still get very Panicky in those areas, but I guess it depends on the situation.

I have had a little bout of this at times and still do..irrational fears.. there was a quote written in book in the forties..Its says the easiest way to conquer what you fear is to face it everyday and keep doing what scares you the most everyday ,not just when you feel you can but everyday .I have found this is working for me and im coming out of a lot of it. Good luck and you will be fine..

Thanks all for the responses.
    Jill, I was joking about the Eifel Tower, I would be expecting it to bend as soon as I got to the top.

The confrontation thing is the key, I should know. I was having meds and CBT in 1999-2000 and thought I was completely cured. I was warned it could and possibly would appear again.

I have no idea why it has reoccured but it has with a vengence.

Zanxiety;
    I am 100% with you on the gravity thing. If I am high up and look up, that really can turn me to jelly.

Thanks again.

Exposure therapy works well

Have you been watching the Panic room on BBC3?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

I think exposure would help - i have a ludicrous fear of heights (used to feel dizzy coming down the stairs, etc) and putting myself in situations where i have had to try and overcome this (such as forcing myself to climb ben nevis eeek!) has helped. Good luck,

Scarlett x

I have been working with exposure to heights for some time now. I have beaten cliff tops, I can do these now comfortably. But I am still unable to do buildings. Once I get to about the third floor of any building I go to pieces. I have been taking myself to a local multii story car park at lunctimes to try to crack this but have not had any success in 9 months working on it.

I also have a major problem with bridges when driving.

I would say from my experience the exposure theory hasn't worked-I'm not sure why this is. I have an acute fear of flying and have continued to go through with long and short haul flights but actually the more I do it the worse it seems to be! Sorry to say this and I know all the theories etc but that is just how it has affected me-everyone is different of course. Now when I have a flight booked I have to think, oh no, here I go again and as I know what lies ahead it makes me feel even more panicky.My GP has told me this is called anticipatory anxiety Bubble

Thread Information